ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Harphamominom's Ph1 Project - sunflower content p12 onwards

Time to start a project thread about my 4th Clio... A RenaultSport Ph1 Clio 172.

My plan first is to run it over winter to make sure it doesn't break down every 2 miles, then...

- Stealth system (are there any options other than ktec?) or an Oreca? system, as I like the "pea-shooter" look
- Wheel refurb to make them mint (may go another colour or may keep the clean standard look, unsure yet - will probably try to source another set at some point, so that I can have the standards, then a set that are another colour)
- Detailing sesh (may be done sooner, rather than later though)
- New, clean plates (ill get these done in the next month or so, as the rear does my head in. 3/4 front, standard rear)
- Coilies, get some proper lowzz - im not sure whether springs would cut it??
- Bit o' strippage, if I fancy it, as it's not like I need back seats
- +10bhp CS stickers - DONE
- Cup Spoiler

Ill see where it takes me though... If it breaks alot, then none of the above will happen and ill just use it as a cheap, s**t runabout. If I get attached, then things may get really interesting...

6277249186_9cdb41a321_z.jpg

Ph1 172 Shed by Harpham y0, on Flickr

6277249970_cd870fa100_z.jpg

6276729767_e8a898fd6b_z.jpg

6277250902_5b028cb5f6_z.jpg

6276730875_63e64c43d6_z.jpg

Ill be using this thread to keep everyone up to date with goings on and for asking questions about the car.

My first priority is to make it mint and get everything working.

Things to sort:
- Exhaust blowing (wanted a stainless system anyway, so this factor didn't bother me too much)
- Airbag light on - This is supposed to be to do with one of the connections underneath the drivers seat I believe. Easy fix according to Gray Motorsport
- Tracking needs doing - Simples.
- New steering wheel - Current one is melted to high hell and is quite sticky in places, so want this replacing sooner rather than later. I want a standard one, but im guessing mint ones are few and far between, due to the same issue.

After the above, I need to sort out a dint in the drivers door and then we're pretty much on the way to making it mint!!

Im hoping that this turns into quite an interesting project and we'll hopefully see some big changes by the time CSS '12 comes along ;)

Re: Harphamominom's Ph1 Project

Tuesday's addition were my +10bhp CS Stickers (cheers Brian)...

6286081332_288fa5a430_z.jpg

Ph1 172 - CSy0 by Harpham y0, on Flickr

6285561393_321ee199f3_z.jpg

6285561719_55791bb3ed_z.jpg

^They will probably influence any colour scheme ;)

Also, I will be getting some more Ph1 side strips and colour coded door handles from Daveski very soon, so that is another thing to come off the list.

I want to change the side repeaters to clear ones at some point too. New number plates will probably get ordered over the next few days, once I have decided on the exact size of them. :)

Megane 225 F1

I has cup spoiler and k-tec stealth. When I buy my BTB you can has both if you want ;)

BTB for exhaust.

The rest of the plans are pretty much what I was going to do. But then I decided that I'm old and boring and that standard is the new modified.

Megane 225 F1

So because you assume I'm from Bristol (read my location, I'm from NOT) you think I'm like that sleezeball (<3) Daniel?

340i

BTB, Yozza, Piper for the exhaust (IMO ;) ).

That dint in the door should pop out easily...

It WILL need coilovers for lows.

Deffo needs new plates.

With the skills of Harphamominom and Gray - Motorsport it'll be a minter Fo Sho :D

But then I decided that I'm old and boring and that standard is the new modified.
Whereas, I am still young and stupid.
BTB, Yozza, Piper for the exhaust (IMO ;) ).

That dint in the door should pop out easily...

Deffo needs new plates.

With the skills of Harphamominom and Gray - Motorsport it'll be a minter Fo Sho :D
Initial impressions of BTB is that I don't really fancy that one tbh. Still got to look into Yozza and Piper though. Ktec does take my fancy tbh, if I can get one cheap, even if it is boomy.

Dint will be fine. Im not concerned at all by that.

Coilovers wise, Raceland up on here for £200. Im tempted to just get them and then store them until Spring time, as they seem cheap (I know they're not the best brand, but it's not like its going to be a massive track wh0re, maybe an odd session though).

Harphamominom will sort teh looks. Gray Motorsport will sort teh mechanics. ;)

Do people think that Eibach Sportlines will be enough lows?

Im not wanting to go silly low, but in the same respect, I don't want to only drop a tiny bit. Ive found sportlines for about £125 new, so is it worth the extra money to go that extra few mm?!

Go for coilies, especially if your thinking of stripping the back out. FK's / Weitec?

Just what I was looking for Greg. Side on view.

Not really sure whether it would be worth more than double, atleast, to go for coilies. That does look about the right height tbh.

If you want a sunflower again, I could try and get the cOntact details for the one I wanted ;)

Aaaaaand the spending begins...

Noticed that there was a bit of rubber seal around the windscreen missing, so my dad went down to the scrapyard to get a replacement, so that I wasn't going to get any leaks or anything.

Two whole f**king pounds for this!! I feel violated.

Comparison of the two, shows that the top bit had been snapped off on the 'old' one:
6288684975_0581b616ee_z.jpg

Ph1 172 - Window Seal Replacement by Harpham y0, on Flickr

Before fitting the 'new' one:
6288685377_b16b17766d_z.jpg

Ph1 172 - Window Seal Replacement - Before by Harpham y0, on Flickr

After:
6289205244_2d78cf74de_z.jpg

Ph1 172 - Window Seal Replacement - After by Harpham y0, on Flickr

Still a gap there, as the seal across the top is too far to the right which I will sort on another day, but atleast everything is now sealed (the gap has some form of seal also, so i'm not going to get any leaks... hopefully).

Im trying to get hold of a new steering wheel next, as the current melted one is doing my head in.

Last edited:

Pre-Winter Detail

Decided to give the shed a bit of a detail today, before winter fully kicks in. I wasn't aiming for correction today, I just wanted to ensure that it was well protected for winter and so that I could familiarise myself with all the marks etc on the paintwork.

Before
6296485932_57e09ba85d_z.jpg

Ph1 Winter Detail 30/10/11 Before by Harpham y0, on Flickr

No reflection
6295953675_1e811c7cea_z.jpg

6295954389_bc638b79d7_z.jpg

Had a little helper at one point, once it went into the garage...
6296488028_4f92748c87_z.jpg

Ph1 Winter Detail 30/10/11 Little Helper by Harpham y0, on Flickr

During
6296488866_0f13806d47_z.jpg

Ph1 Winter Detail 30/10/11 During by Harpham y0, on Flickr

6296489822_07b5bcb374_z.jpg

Ph1 Winter Detail 30/10/11 During by Harpham y0, on Flickr

After

6296490540_8cbd0e044b_z.jpg

Ph1 Winter Detail 30/10/11 After by Harpham y0, on Flickr

6296491602_85673b37bf_z.jpg

Can actually see my reflection now
6296492344_0f181e8cbd_z.jpg

Ph1 Winter Detail 30/10/11 Actually has a reflection now by Harpham y0, on Flickr

Had to take the "Saturday" part off the CSS sticker, as the Y was coming off :( . I was left with "TURD" at one point, but didnt realise until after I had taken the T off. I want another now, so that I can have a CS TURD '11 sticker ;)
6295960263_7382f82783_z.jpg

6296494642_4caa118e95_z.jpg

6295962431_f9f03a8900_z.jpg

Pretty damn happy with the results to be honest. Im happy that i've actually brought a bit of the shine back into the paintwork. Got rid of quite a few scratches too. Swirls are still very bad, but I wasn't aiming to get good levels of correction today, as it would have taken me too long.

After the usual snow foam, claying etc, I Lime Primed the whole car and then used Zaino sealant to protect. Oh and ignore the dirty wheels. That's a job for another day...

This week, i'm hoping to sort out a few bits on the car, including new number plates, steering wheel, tracking done and wipers. Hopefully can sort exhaust out aswell...

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep

Garage is mint !! Want.

Should have popped the side trims off instead of taping them up ;)

New plates will make it look 1billion times better.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)

Loads better. With ref to sportlines or coilovers get the latter if you can afford them, ive had both.

Garage is the girlfriend's. I want one like that when I have a house though ;)
New plates will be ordered tomorrow, once I have measured up and got the right size for the bumper insert etc.

Ill probably go for coilovers tbh, as I look at the car and I want some proper lows with it, instead of just 30mm. That won't happen until Spring either way anyway.

I will have owned the car for 7 whole days today, so ill try and get a write up done later of how it feels in comparison to the 200.

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26

that is very nice mate. whats the story, you selling the 200?

that is very nice mate. whats the story, you selling the 200?
The 200 went last week. Sold to my local dealer. I don't miss it one bit up to yet though. Its the first car that I haven't missed at all, even though it has arguably been the best.
Just put normal GB badged EU friendly plates on it you spoon :rasp:
Smaller front plates ftw. Oh and GB badges?? No Deal. Plain and clean is the only way tbh.

Ill be ordering some bits tomorrow. :D

172 v 200 Cup Comparison

Now that i've owned the new shed for just over a week, I thought id do a quick write up on how they differ and what I think to the car.

MPG
Over the past week, I have averaged 37mpg in the 172, using normal unleaded (the previous owner filled it up for me before I picked it up). I have only just put more fuel into the car this morning. There was still a quarter tank left and I had done over 250 miles this past week, which is more than double what I was sticking to in the 200. On my way home from the gym/petrol station this morning, I averaged 44mpg with super unleaded. That wasn't driving too economically either. Safe to say I never saw anywhere near that kind of mpg in the 200.
With the 200, I got 32mpg at the very very best, with super unleaded. Most of the time, I was getting between 29-30mpg, due to the short journeys that I do to and from work. 3/4 of a tank would barely last me a week in the 200, whereas around 3/4 of a tank in the 172 has lasted me over a week (hasn't the 172 got a smaller fuel tank too?).
The best thing is, i've been actually driving the 172 normal this week to get the 37mpg, rather than driving like a granddad in the 200 to struggle to get the 32mpg. Its bringing the fun back into driving.

Performance
Performance wise, I haven't pushed the 172 too hard yet, as the exhaust is blowing, so the last thing i've wanted to be doing is bouncing off teh limiter. Initial impressions are that it doesn't feel as quick as the 200, especially in the lower rev ranges. I forgot how bad the 5k kick is in 1*2's. I think once i've got the 172 to the standard that I want it (new exhaust, serviced etc), I think it will feel just as quick as the 200 did, straight line speed.
Oh and I can definitely tell that I don't have Brembos anymore LOL.

Cornering
Im sure we already know this, but the 200 is worlds apart in this division. I actually have to slow down for corners now. Again, I haven't really pushed the 172 yet, as i'm not sure of its limits when cornering. I knew that this would be a massive step down though, as the 200 was ridiculously good in the corners. This doesn't really bother me though, as I don't drive my cars hard anyway, so I doubt ill even use the 172 to its full cornering ability, nevermind the 200's.

Looks
Looks wise, the 200 obviously gets more people turning their heads, but I like the fact, in some ways, that people don't give this a second look. "It's just a Clio". Most people will just think that its a little 1.2. I've already had little chavvy Corsa B owners trying to do me LOL. This is probably the one aspect that I will miss about the 200, but to people in the know, Ph1 172's are full of win anyway. I just need to make this one mint!!

Financial
This was one of the main reasons for the 'downgrade'. Im certainly saving on fuel costs, tax is slightly less I believe, insurance only cost £11 to change over. The only thing that is stopping me from saving money at the moment is the fact that I suddenly have the urge to be doing stuff to the 172, but aslong as this doesn't go over the £3k mark (including maintenance), then I will have saved money over the next year (my plans will probably cost just over £1k over the next year). Im also out of the finance loop, which feels great.

Overall
I definitely glad that i've made the move back to a Mk2. I feel like i'm back where I belong. Its bringing my joy back into driving. Cheaper running costs until it breaks on me ;)). Its also bringing my passion back into car ownership, as I actually want to make/keep this a minter and make 'improvements' to it.
There are things that need sorting on the 172, which I am gradually sorting out, but that is the whole fun of car ownership that I have missed whilst owning the 200.
I should point out though, that I in no way regret getting the 200. It was a fantastic car and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. Onwards and upwards though. It has been the first car that I haven't missed one bit though when I sold it, which kind of makes me know that I have definitely made the right choice.

Hopefully, by the time CSS '12 rolls up, the 172 will be transformed into a minter and have had some interesting changes.

:)

BMW M5 & E36

You live next door to Kyle Ryde? Lads got skills! (going by the sprinter van).

At the TOPO meet, we weren't even pushing the 200, cornering wise LOL. I could tell you weren't used to going round corners at that speed though ;)

You live next door to Kyle Ryde? Lads got skills! (going by the sprinter van).

Yup. Live next door to him. Just won the biking championship hasn't he?!! Funny how many people know his name.

Bish. Bash. Bosch.

Small update today. My Aero wipers got delivered today. Very quick delivery, especially considering that I only ordered them yesterday and didn't even pay for the upgraded delivery.

Haii
6309418686_81d3028061_z.jpg

Bish. Bash. Bosch. by Harpham y0, on Flickr

6308898015_da76a78b3a_z.jpg

Bosch Aero Wipers by Harpham y0, on Flickr

Hopefully my new number plates will arrive tomorrow or Saturday. I placed my order to Fancyplates on Tuesday, so I imagine that they will be with me very soon.

New Plates

My order from Fancyplates arrived this morning, so after meeting Sym0n's parents :eek: , I set about getting these one. It was certainly a fun experience ;) ...

6311568885_07a8cd6a29_z.jpg

New Rear Plate by Harpham y0, on Flickr

6312089306_6ae2a8d254_z.jpg

New Front Plate by Harpham y0, on Flickr

I think the front is slightly too small and asking for unwanted attention, but meh... It'll do now!! :)

Really happy that the rear plate has made the back end look tidy again though.

Bus w**ker

after meeting Sym0n's parents

Fun times were had by one and all lol.

Sorry to say it it though mate, but I don't like the smaller plates on a Ph1. Don't think they're needed like they are on a Ph2 and just look wrong.

Also, is that back one straight? :rasp: