ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Has anyone tryed this

I was watching the formula 1 last weekend, and looking at how they get the air into the engines. Obviously they have a big duct above the drivers head which funnels air down to a panel filter.

I wondered if anyone had made a bonet scoop/air intake direct to the air box on their motors?

Im sure thats how the 206 WRC car feeds its filter? Not a 100% sure though?

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

I have a vavler bonnet on my mk1 RT and where the air scoop is on the bonnet fits directly above the air filter (k&n 57i) so thats kinda similar I suppose! It funnels cold air into the filter and eliminates the hot air rising sucking in power down problem!

Yeah sounds like it would help the K&N zedx19.

I cant remember who it was but they were talking about putting a plastic shell over the filter, which when the bonnet closed sealed the filter from the hot engine bay.

Reverie do a formuls 1 style air intake for the Elise, all carbon very expensive, i think its got to be the way to go for power gains?

I was talking about this in a thread last week, you must of missed it. If we have a good amount of people wanting a Reverie box it will still be expensive, but viable.

They have universal kits, another member emailed them and got a response along the lines of they can adapt one of those kits to be set up for the Clio 172 models. I would only expect 5bhp, i guess if there was a good air feed this BHP would be available from slowish speeds. I guess reverie will need to look at a clio to see what will be needed.

Quote: Originally posted by zedx19 on 18 March 2003

I have a vavler bonnet on my mk1 RT and where the air scoop is on the bonnet fits directly above the air filter (k&n 57i) so thats kinda similar I suppose! It funnels cold air into the filter and eliminates the hot air rising sucking in power down problem!
I thought the valvers bonnet "scoop" was a heat outlet aposed to a cold air inlet. A scoop (ie scooby style) would odviosly force cold air into the engine bay. But the scoop in the valver seems to there more as a suction device. Let me explain.

This is just my sumise, I have actually no idea about this and have never seen a valver that up close and personal to justify my theory:

Cold air is brought in through the bottom ie somewhere on the bumper. The cold air enters the engine bay and pushed the hot air up (hot air rises) then the air rushing over the valvers "scoop" creates a vacume and sucks the hot air out. Scientifically its a sound idea, just no idea how it actually works.

But saying that, an RT probably doesnt have the inlets on the fron to the bumper, so the "scoop" probably would drag air in.

Paul

Sounds like it needs a fair bit of development work. 5bhp would be a good gain from an air intake mod, but lots of people have said the ram air effect will only really start to work around 200+mph:confused:

Still it will be interesting to see what Reault come up with...............if ever!

Theyve rolling roaded their cars, they say at 90mph it produces the 5bhp. To be honest i just like the idea of having a lump of carbon fibre in the engine bay. lol

Yeah I can relate to that :cool: it does look GOOOD

I liked the carbon bonnet scoop they do for the Caterham 7, that would look good.

Have you seen the cup race cars? dont they have an intake where one of the headlights would be?

Yeah i started a post about that too lol

I would like a carbon bonnet but again would need lots of people to do it as it would cost loads and loads.

Lionel Richie

I would love to have a carbon bonnet on my clio, im gonna get in contact with a few composite fabricators and see what they say!!!!

The bonnet scoop on a valver/williams is to control the heat in the engine bay...not as an induction scoop.

Its positioned so it directs air straight onto the exhaust manifold because this obviously gets hot to trot.

Also it lets the heat rise up and out when stationary... same as the bonnet vents on an evo.

If I had the money to replace that in carbon...................well I would prob be looking at a new E55 AMG

Yeah your right DanG, its a hot little sucker. But on a 172 I would like to see if any gains could be brought about with a bonnet intake?

Does anyone know what Peugot do to their 206 WRC car for the air intake?

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Quote: Originally posted by DanG on 18 March 2003

The bonnet scoop on a valver/williams is to control the heat in the engine bay...not as an induction scoop.

Its positioned so it directs air straight onto the exhaust manifold because this obviously gets hot to trot.

Also it lets the heat rise up and out when stationary... same as the bonnet vents on an evo.

So if its directing air in through the scoop its directing it straight onto my K&N. The engine layout on the RT is different to the vavlers, the air filter is situated at the top directly under the hole in the vavler bonnet. Whether its letting hot air out or cold air in its all good! hehe

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Quote: Originally posted by Norfolk-172 on 18 March 2003

Yeah sounds like it would help the K&N zedx19.

I cant remember who it was but they were talking about putting a plastic shell over the filter, which when the bonnet closed sealed the filter from the hot engine bay.
I like the sounds of that! Kinda like a heat sheild as well as a cold air inlet thing.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

zedx19.... result on the valver bonnet then.. nice idea
Hell yeah! Best mod on a RT IMO after filter, best way to keep it cool, loads better then running cold air feeds all over the shop.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

zedx19.... result on the valver bonnet then.. nice idea
Well Ive had mine vavler bonnet for almost a year without anything stopping the rain gettin in apart from the black grill, the normal rain diverter wont fit because the filter is in the way. However, its not caused a problem, even after heavy rain the car will still start first time and runs exactly the same. The only problem is that water has caused little rust marks on the silver K&N thing on top of the filter, does look nice through the grill though.