ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Having a real disastrous time trying to match paint without a paint code.

Powder coat my alloys gold I said. Really wish I hadn't. Tried about three different Golds from Nissan gold, a general hobby gold and Ford Olympic gold. I can't for the life of me get the colour on my centre caps to match!

What colour gold do you reckon my alloys are?

bf9bc4d1b9b99198f46d1dcbb9767853.jpg

a6654d6571abbbd7c74c2f25a02c041b.jpg

I'm thinking about ditching the centre covers and just getting some of those 57mm covers instead and chrome wheel bolt covers as an alternative as this is pissing me off. At least I'll be on first name terms with the kids in Halfords at this rate

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Powder and paint are two different things.

Paint can be mixed and powder can't as its a solid form.

Why can't you just ask the place that powder coated the wheels what "colour code" it is?

Or even pay them to do the caps the same? Sure it'll turn out minutely different, powder coating metal vs plastic, but it's better than just guessing random colours.

Why can't you just ask the place that powder coated the wheels what "colour code" it is?

Or even pay them to do the caps the same? Sure it'll turn out minutely different, powder coating metal vs plastic, but it's better than just guessing random colours.
I got then done as a favour by my father unlaw with some paint they had left.

He told me they wouldn't be able to do the centre's as they would melt

Fair enough.

There are specific "grades" of powder for use with plastics and without an oven, but if they didn't use it to begin with you'd just have the opposite colour mismatch!

Fair enough.

There are specific "grades" of powder for use with plastics and without an oven, but if they didn't use it to begin with you'd just have the opposite colour mismatch!
I wish I had known that. Live and learn.

Should have gone for gloss black less hassle. Lol

Ex 182 owner
You're pisssing in the wind...

yep, really needs to be done at the same time by someone who knows what they are doing. powder coating 172/182 wheels are a nightmare with the size of the center caps. look at them number of powdered anthracite wheels that have been attempted to a good level and still the centers caps stick out as a miss match.

defo go back to your mate and ask for the ral colour. Then get a spray paint shop to mix you to match. Or you May aswell either go rally style and run without. or go for a something completely different like a carbon wrap/black. your just going to waste it on rattle cans/effort otherwise.

all the best with your efforts.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I know this a-hole that sent his wheels off for a refurb and the went back and forth 3 times I think before they repainted the wheels and caps..

They looked ok straight on but at an angle they look well out... If a paint shop can't get it right, you have absolutely no chance.. You need them to try or start from the beginning.

yep, really needs to be done at the same time by someone who knows what they are doing. powder coating 172/182 wheels are a nightmare with the size of the center caps. look at them number of powdered anthracite wheels that have been attempted to a good level and still the centers caps stick out as a miss match.

defo go back to your mate and ask for the ral colour. Then get a spray paint shop to mix you to match. Or you May aswell either go rally style and run without. or go for a something completely different like a carbon wrap/black. your just going to waste it on rattle cans/effort otherwise.

all the best with your efforts.
Fully agreeing with the above. No option out now

I know this a-hole that sent his wheels off for a refurb and the went back and forth 3 times I think before they repainted the wheels and caps..

They looked ok straight on but at an angle they look well out... If a paint shop can't get it right, you have absolutely no chance.. You need them to try or start from the beginning.
As Don't say that it's pretty fatalistic

They said it couldn't be done. Even halfrauds failed. Mrs con1981 though succeeded!! Thank you to my brilliant wife for painting the centre's. Not far off
1c184b651b915041071110efab5e2371.jpg

Ford arizona gold those alloys
Tried that didn't match. I was told the colour is Aztec gold. But couldn't find anything that matches. Went through Halfords full colour mixing chart today.in the end the fella just gave up. Which was comically when he'd started with I can match anything

The difference between powder coat and ordinary paint is massive as well. Last time I get these done on the cheap

Vauxhall do an Aztec gold ford do an Aztec bronze.
Mixed it and it didn't match. Big whoes today from me. Worse comes to the worse I'll get done 60mm centre caps and run them instead. Either way pretty pleased with the result my Mrs has achieved in comparison to the so called professionals

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Even if you get it right they still look crap as it's a crap colour I'm afraid.

Stick with silver next time!