ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HDMI Cable Differences

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Jeff Boccaccio from the Digital Performance Level program fully tests and certifies HDMI cables. He explains what issues you may encounter and why, with HDMI. Part 1 of 3:

Very interesting and shows what many of us thought anyway. Pretty sure Monster didn't send him a Christmas Card.

Parts 2 and 3 available from that link.

Last edited by a moderator:
All my gear is used on £5 HDMI cables. I borrowed one from the local TV store (family friend) that cost £70. Seventy pound.

Made zero difference.

They did a review on gadgetshow too - right up to the £££ cables - made no difference at all

I'm not suprised - it's a digital signal not analog so cable will make f**k all difference

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Cant play the vid Scutch and no link for me ???

I have to admit when the whole HDMI cable thing first came about I was advised by Richer Sounds to get two really good cables for the BluRay and the XBox360.
They were £30 each and whilst they are both good quality, and dont suffer from any interference, I didnt feel the need to spend so much on my next ones.

I got another one for the upscaled DVD recorder, one for the Sky+HD box and one for the PS3.

£5 each from That Cable company. Picked whatever lengths suited the AV setup too, 0.5m, 1m, 1.5m. Bosh, job done.
Decent cables and the retro style kettle lead is a bit different.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I believe the only time expensive cables make a difference is over big distances?

Not watched the video yet so dunno if they've mentioned that?

Bumder With A Buffer
I believe the only time expensive cables make a difference is over big distances?

Not watched the video yet so dunno if they've mentioned that?

Correct. Say anything from around 5-10 meters upwards.

Usually to do with the screening needed for digital signal at those lengths

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I paid a quid for one and it works fine. Its a bit on the short side and will have to be replaced when I re decorate the living room so I will check that link for some longer ones.

I can't believe Monster get away with charging so much!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
You pay for the look and feel I guess, The £1 ones do have really naff/ugly connectors but it doesn't really matter - I know chaps who buy more expensive ones purely because they look better being run at the back of the TV.

One mate in particular has his AV kit in the middle of the room so fancy cables just look better - he's under no illusion they're any better mind.

I buy "Neet" ones off a company on eBay purely because they're white and look correct with my other (Chord Company) analogue interconnects. They're not £1 but they're not £20 either!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I remember when my Dad went out and bought 4 x £50 Monster cables for his new TV. Oh how I laughed.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
It's a bit like the whole V-power/non V-power difference.

completely different. if your car is mapped for 95 ron, then fair enough, my my car is mapped for 97 and therefore must be run on it. so in short depends on the application.