ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Head Gasket weep problem

Car losing water, but pulling as normal, with no white cloud from exhaust. Look in engine bay and none appears to be going into the oil so investigated further. Found coolant that appears to be weeping out between block and head right below distributer, just behind a pipe that runs past there. Anybody had this problem (specifically a blow here as I know head gaskets and valvers are common), car has never been even mildly roasted so am surprised this has happened, and always had right coolant mix. Will i get away with just a head gasket etc, or will block &/or head need skimmed. Will probablt tackle this myself along with new cam belt, am I recommended to take engine out, I think it might be less hassle, and advice welcome, cheers

Mk4 golf gti

my friend got exactly the same prob but on a rover.

Dnt kno how diff the engines r if u kno wot I mean but he jus getin his headgasket dun

alternatively there is sum kinda of magic spray or solution with copper in it or sumfin that u put in your coolant then u av to flush the system 4 24 hours and the copper bonds itself to the gap in the head gasket so stopping the leaking

apparantly works very well but you have 2 do it evry month or 2 months sumfin like dat.

its leaking at the rear waterway.

Get a new gasket and slap it on.

However you need to question why the crush on the gasket has gone. Is it just rotten (if the coolant bottles brown and not clear then its probably rotten) or has it warped (doubtfull) or have the bolts loosened/stripped?

You wont really know for sure until the heads off.

As for additives dont even bother or you will end up losing the engine.

Thermostat housing gasket almost definately. Whip the battery and airbox off and youll get better access.

Unbolt the housing from the engine and while your there put in a new thermostat. Bolt it back on with new gasket and fresh bolts and then check for a water leak when system re-filled and flushed-may well have sorted it...

doubt its the stat housing, if its not the HG its more likely to be the push fit metal pipe thats leaking. They rot.

They also cause great amusement when your mates underneath tightening up the remote linkage rod and your letting it piss water onto their head, isnt that right Ben! lol

19 16V

Chris the coolant in my bottle looks like purified sh*t.. take it that its time to drain and get some new then?

yes thats long past time to change it. Take th ecap off the bottle start the engioen then rev it whilst looking onto the bottle. Are you still getting a flow from the wee hose that goes to the top of the expansion bottle?

If not new hose time which surprise surprise I may have for sale. That wee hose is 16 quid from renault!

Cheers guys, but it is defo. HG, as can see it pump out when you squeeze radiaitr hose. Am going to tackle head once I buy bits required

""They also cause great amusement when your mates underneath tightening up the remote linkage rod and your letting it piss water onto their head, isnt that right Ben! lol""

Yup, thats right! (And wet.. lol ;))