ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Head unit not recognising CD changer

S

Scott

Hi

I have a standard ICE system as fitted to the Mk1 172 (Renault head unit in dash with Renault branded Alpine 6-CD changer under front seat).

Anyway, I had to take the CD changer out. Ive just put it back and connected the cable back into the unit (not difficult - its a pin-to-socket connector that can only be fitted in one way!).

I can hear the CD autochanger working okay when I load the CD cassette thingy but nothing CD related is picked up at the head unit display - normally I would get MW, FM and CD if going through the SRC options.

Does anyone know why this might be? Is there a certain button press combination I must go through on the head unit to reset the fact there is a CD changer present? If the CD changer should automatically be picked up does anyone know how this is achieved e.g. can someone provide me with a description of what the pins on the connector do so I can do some testing.

Many thanks in advance for any info.

Scott.:)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Remove the head unit

unplug the unit

plug em all back in

check the cables going into the changer

S

Scott

Thanks Tom.

The only thing that was done was to undo four mouting screws for the CD changer under the front seat and (carefully!) pull out the connecting cable from the back of the unit so the entire CD changer box could be removed from the car. The cable to the changer has a block connector on that can only fit in one way.

I dont think removing the head unit from the dash etc will help in any way. Ive checked the block connector under the front seat to the changer which looks okay.

Theres either more to it i.e. some kind of reset on the head unit or something is broken! :oops:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Ok

Removing the headunit power will "reset" the unit and the changer will start working again.

Thats why i said it.

(Unless you can find another way of reseting the HU)

Ps: dont forget your code!!

S

Scott

Sorry Tom! In my ignorance I just thought I could reverse the procedure I took to take the changer out! :oops:

Can you just offer a bit more assistance as Ill do the resetting deed tonight! ...

1) Do I just buy some metal pokey things from Halfords to stick down the holes at the sides of the head unit to extract it?

2) Is the power cable then fairly obvious?! (I guess removing the battery cable wont do a reset?)

3) Yikes - a code! Im pretty sure I dont have one. Ive had the car for 2+ years now and dont ever recall seeing or being given a code. Is there a factory default? Am I buggered if I dont have the code?

Thanks.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Ok

Pokey things or coat hangers
Juts pull out every connector on the back (two of em) dont bother with the ariel
Replace
the code is printed on a label on the inside front cover of your service book
or just remove the battery cable but check with renault to see if this is ok as some cars abs systems dont like having no power and need to be set up

S

Scott

Top man Tom!

Ill let you know how it goes tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

S

Scott

Car was bought as a personal import. Could be hassle trying to get hold of the code. Big groans :( . I may be pleasantly surprised when I look at the service book but Im pretty sure this was sent after I took delivery of the car cos the original foreign book the dealer had was no good (and wasnt given) to me! May need a call to my friendly foreign dealer who I havent seen in ages (unless anyone knows that Renault car info is kept on some kind of Europe wide database and I can just go and blag at my local dealer?!)

Re. just simply disconnecting the battery ... Tom is under the impression this may cause problems with the ABS. In this case Id rather play safe and take the head unit removal route.

It will not affect the ABS disconnecting the battery . But dont do it until you definately have the code for the stereo.

I know this probably doesnt help but Ive got a mk2 and Ive removed the Renault fitted cd changer from the car and re-connected it, all was fine. Didnt have to reset anything or remove the battery, was only disconnected for a few hours (to see how much room I had under there - not enough for my old 10disc changer).

All I can say is check the connections, and try disconnecting and reconnecting again (but Im guessing youve tried this)

Good Luck!

S

Scott

Well, I managed to get the code from my efficient foreign dealer (my local dealer had said they could get the code but may have to charge be for it. The foreign dealer is also very polite and pleased to help ;)).

I got the stereo out, removed the four block connectors from the back and entered the code (after figuring out how to change and accept numbers and then accept the final code). Beep. Great. But wheres the CD source? Drat it didnt work!!!

Ill try the CD changer end but its peeing outside and I need to kneel outside the car to get at the changer!

To come clean on the reason the changer was removed in the first place...

... well it stopped working - it was just making a click whirr sound. Took it to the local dealer to be fixed - under warranty. After leaving it with them for a day they then tell me I was not covered (unless I had special optional extra Executive Cover). They could order me a replacement unit for the totally unreasonable sum of £646 including fitting. Sod that. Carefully took unit casing off and manually wound changer to start position to reset it. Did some testing - unit loads great now and does not make the click whirr sound (i.e. stuck). Put unit back. Crap - its not recongised!

I was extremely careful with dismantling and do not think I have damaged anything but you never know(?)

Thanks for everyones suggestions and help.

S

Scott

ITS FIXED!!!

A big thank you to everyone who helped with a reply on this posting. I took the changer apart again in my lunch break and discovered a dry joint on the PCB that takes the various connections in.

A bit of solder and then reconnecting the thing back up and - hey presto - I have a CD source again! Hurrah! I also have the a radio code I never new existed thanks to this little episode.

Moral of the story? Dont necessarily believe that just because a Renault dealer tells you something is well and truly bust (and then wants to charge a small fortune to replace it) that it is! :mad:

Well chuffed! :D