ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headlight adjustment on a Phs2 172 - MOT fail?

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Car went for it's MOT today, and failed.

1. Rear N/S tyre, below minimum (it's actually just above the wear marker)
2. Rear isofix clip broken so not holding belt in (but on looking when I get home, there seemed to be a small ball of paper rammed in there, hmmm)
3. Near side headlight beam too low - Requires adjustment

So, I told him I would sort the tyre and seatbelt, he said he will adjust the headlight for me.

Then on the way home, it dawned on me. Arent xenons self levelling/adjusting? The car is lowered, so I assume it thinks the arse is laden, and has adjusted upwards. Can this be remedied, or do I point out its just as its lowered?

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
the aim wont be low due to suspension as that would mean the rear end is higher than the front end and both aims would be low not just the nearside.

will need adjusting get them to do it as you need the beam setter to see the image and set it correctly going rate is about £16

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Ahhhh. You learn something new everyday.

Goin back this morn for its pass sheet.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
yes but would adjust both head lamps the same amount only the nearsides low .

when most people lower the car they lower the front and rear the same amount so headlamp aim wont need adjusting.

i mot cars day in day out not many go out of adjustment main cause is the bulbs fitted upside down and dont give any pattern.

ive moted loads of cars with lowered suspension and havent had to adjust the aim to suit.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
front height isnt going to make much difference though, the adjuster is on the rear beam and when the rear is lowered and beam is closer to the body of the car, it lowers the headlight beam. obviously one of the OP's needs a manual adjustment to bring it back up to the same level as the other, still doesnt change the fact that the lowered suspension is causing the beam to be pointing low.