ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headlight correction

E87 118d M Sport
Had a few hours spare this morning and wanted to sort out the headlights as best as possible. Not quite sure how they are this damaged, but let me know if im not alone.....

SNV84020.jpg

They have been bugging me for a while, sure you can see why:

SNV84021.jpg

So after some wet sanding (1000, 2000, 2500, 3000) I got a nice consistent cloud (yes, this is the other light, the pic of the first one was poo):

SNV84027.jpg

some machine polishing later:

SNV84034.jpg

[There are still some imperfections, and i know with another more intense attack I could get a slightly better finish, but well over 80% corrected and very happy with the results.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Nice work - gave mine a blast 3 weeks ago with some 3M polish and Sonus spot-pads
Came up ok but not as good as that lol

What did you use to buff up, what speeds etc? :)

E87 118d M Sport
used a kestrel DA, with PO203S on a Menz 80mm white, followed by some PO85RE5 on a 80mm yellow. Started off with a slow pass at speed 2 to move the polish around, then a few passes at 5-6 with a spray of water on the pad each time to make sure the polish was being broken down enough.

It was the wet sanding that allowed the polish to work the best. All in the prep.

Nice result, Mine wernt as bad but..

Have just done mine recently, Id say a 70% correction, Some deeper scratches from 1st time deep sanding but im very pleased with the results.

Transforms the front end.

E87 118d M Sport
got no idea lol. i picked the car up nearly 2 years ago, and theyve always looked like it. i know renault use very hard plastic for their headlights, but not sure how they are only really affected at the top of the light? i'd of thought if it was stone chips that they would mainly be on the front of the light???

"Navy" N17 TWO
Yeah, strange :S
I seen a detailing tutorial video online a while back - mentioned UV damage or something like that

RS Clio 172
This is good to know. My last 172 had this but didn't know how to sort it apart from buying new lights, One of the reasons I sold it tbh :eek:

Clio Sport Ph2
I did the same last year, and result is just like yours. I used wet sanding paper 1000, 1500 and 2000, and after all that plastic polish. It took me about 4 hrs of work and galons and galons of water. :)

Iceberg 172
That is superb!

Mine have done this, well the ns is the worst out of the 2 but not quite as bad... good to see that they can be corrected.

Anybody fancy doing mine for some cash!?

Evo 8 MR
Looks like a job well done but how did you get right upto the edges?

I'd have thought it would burn the paint on the wings?

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
My 172 ones were pretty bad but the Trophy ones are ok, quite a suprise really. The headlights bubbling on the 172 used to piss me off.

E87 118d M Sport
This is good to know. My last 172 had this but didn't know how to sort it apart from buying new lights, One of the reasons I sold it tbh :eek:

lol. new headlights or new car.....:rolleyes:

I did the same last year, and result is just like yours. I used wet sanding paper 1000, 1500 and 2000, and after all that plastic polish. It took me about 4 hrs of work and galons and galons of water. :)

i used some detailing spray and some water in a spray bottle. hosed off afterwards. took about 2 hours from start to finish (inluding prepping the paper and machine polisher etc)

great work there buddy

cheers dawn!

Looks like a job well done but how did you get right upto the edges?

I'd have thought it would burn the paint on the wings?

just masked them off same way you would mask off any panel for machine polishing mate. nice thick sturdy stuff and great for preventing damage.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Great results! Mine are bugging me, on the list of things to do.

Is it easy to do without the machine polisher or too much effort?

Love really clear lights, like on that Astra VXR that had the mad detail straight after picking up from the showroom.

E87 118d M Sport
uh i imagine it would take a long time to hand polish! the machine polisher makes it a piece of cake (if you know what your doing with one obviously)

330Ci (Fail)Sport
uh i imagine it would take a long time to hand polish! the machine polisher makes it a piece of cake (if you know what your doing with one obviously)

Thought so. Oh well, may have to invest in one then and get practising first!

Mk2 Ph2 Clio II 1.6 16v
That is a variation of plastic oxidation...very common now since everyone is using plastic covers for the headlights. Some cars are prone to this due to headlight shape and size. If the headlight has some horizontal surfaces the UV rays can attack those areas with more intensity. That bit where the turn signal sits is very horizontal and receives more UV rays than the rest.
Once you polish the headlight it becomes very important to use good synthetic wax with UV protection to slow down this process.
I think you did a good job, maybe a thinner polish will improve the cloudy look and then 3-4 layers of wax will keep it shiny.

Clio 172 RS2

Not necesarily...

Here's when a Quality Polish like for instance Autoglym shines through!
None of that Halfraud sh**e...

320d
PH1 lights with removed sidelights an HID's is so win. My knackered lights are ruining the front of my car.

320d
An hour with an orbital and they'll be sorted.

I know. Next time you've got your orbital out any chance you could do them for me for a bit of £?

Your the only person I know who has one.

I'd get one myself but i'd get it, attempt to fix headlights, probably wreck the paintwork around them, put it in a cupboard where it would stay forever.

Mk2 Ph2 Clio II 1.6 16v
I know. Next time you've got your orbital out any chance you could do them for me for a bit of £?

Your the only person I know who has one.

I'd get one myself but i'd get it, attempt to fix headlights, probably wreck the paintwork around them, put it in a cupboard where it would stay forever.

that is why you should always use automotive masking tape around the headlights :cool:

DMS

A thirsty 172
I really need to do this to my headlights.
They're not too bad actually, so I think I'd get a near perfect finish to them if I did the job right.
Has anyone done a guide?