ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Heater fans won't turn off - resistor pack?

Looking for 182
Hi all,

My heater fans will not turn off at all no matter what I do. It's the windscreen ones which are stuck on and I can still control everything, including temperature fine. I just can't turn the damn thing off.

I've done some searching and see that this could be a problem with the heater resistor pack. So I will get it booked in to fix shortly.

In the short term though, what can I disconnect to turn the bloody fans off to stop it doing more damage while I drive the car this weekend?

Thanks

Looking for 182
Do I have to undo the 6mm bolts (if so, how the hell do I get to them as there is bugger all space to undo them), or can I just unplug it? I tried unplugging but the thing won't budge.

Looking for 182
Ok, I seriously can't remove the bloody thing. Before I just cut the ****ing wires, how do I get the thing out so I can at least use the car?

Looking for 182
Spamming my own thread a bit now, but I managed to get it unplugged so at least I can drive the car now without causing more damage.

I'll buy another resistor pack :)(), although the question about how I undo those bolts still stands. What tool can I use to get into the small gap and undo them?

Thanks

260% JCW
They can be repaired with the right tools ect and the transistor, cost me £3 to fix mine. Cant remember having any trouble taking it out?

Looking for 182
I wouldn't know where to start with repairing it so I will need to buy a new one. Should be able to get one next week.

However, in the mean time is it ok to just have the heaters running? It's only the windscreen heater that is full blast, and I am not doing journeys longer than 30 minutes each day. Is that ok?

I can't drive with the heater unplugged because the windscreen mists up in this weather, and it's too damn cold :p

Clio Sport 182
I wouldn't know where to start with repairing it so I will need to buy a new one. Should be able to get one next week.

However, in the mean time is it ok to just have the heaters running? It's only the windscreen heater that is full blast, and I am not doing journeys longer than 30 minutes each day. Is that ok?

I can't drive with the heater unplugged because the windscreen mists up in this weather, and it's too damn cold :p

Atleast yours work, but thanks to this thread, im going to have a crack at sorting mine out :p

Looking for 182
Hi all.

I received a new heater resistor pack today from ClioSpares, taken from a Ph2 172 with climate control.

When I FINALLY got the old one out, I plugged the new one in and now the fans don't work at all. Plug the old one in, and the windscreen fans are stuck on full. ARRRRRRRRGHHH!!!

I tried to call ClioSpares to check they tested it but they're engaged. Any ideas?

EDIT: I called ClioSpares and they have said to send it back so they can test it. It was tested and was working when they send it. What are the chances of it breaking in the post? It was well packaged so I would be surprised.

Could there be a problem with the wires/connector that plugs into the resistor pack instead?

Last edited:
  260% JCW
The one they sent is probably FUBAR too, no doubt it was before they sent it. Ask them to send another.

260% JCW
The transistor normaly shorts at one speed or none. So if it worked before they sent it, its somehow shorted in the post, Or it was on its last legs and shorted as soon as you plug'd it in.

260% JCW
f**king hell, im going to set up my own business lol. It costs £3 for the transistor and all you need is a soldering iron, some solder, patience and some knowledge.

If only i worked where i used too!

How much was the 2nd hand one if you dont mind me asking? If it was alot cheaper than £70 id send it back and ask for another.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Defo sounds like your heator resistor back mate. My heaters were stuck on full as well. I took the fuse out the dash for the short term, but it was summer so didn't miss them.

If it's any consolation I bought my pack from Josh at cliospares and its worked fine ever since - Sounds like you were just a bit unlucky.

Looking for 182
It was £70 inc delivery from ClioSpares. I'll send it back and see what they think. I'm a bit worried it will work for them though, as that leaves me wondering what the problem really is.

I wonder how I could find someone with the skills to send mine to, and pay obviously, to fix. Shall I post in the wanted section?

Looking for 182
I ended up buying a new one for £120 from the local Renault garage as I was bored of the problem. Fortunately it all now works, so hopefully ClioSpares will give me a refund on the one they sold me as it's obviously faulty.

I ended up buying a new one for £120 from the local Renault garage as I was bored of the problem. Fortunately it all now works, so hopefully ClioSpares will give me a refund on the one they sold me as it's obviously faulty.

Mine went last Friday :( well I think! Checked all the fuses and they're all fine.

Ordered my new part from the stealers too. Though have had my old one out and will try and fix it this weekend and keep it as a spare/sell it.

Bit of a ball ache to get out with the plastic trim that the wiper arms come up through obstructs getting to the furtherst nut slightly. Don't have a 6mm spanner so had to use a socket and turn it 2-3mm at a time! :(

Picking the part up this afternoon and will most likely be fitting it in the dark! De-icing a windscreen that is still at -0 temperatures isn't fun. Ended up almost having to do an Ace Ventura on the way to work this morning! Good thing it's only a 5 minute drive. Never realised how important blowers/heaters are!

I also noticed on the plastic covering above the CC assembly that you have to remove the little rubber strip (windscreen seal?) that makes contact with the windscreen has come adrift slightly in that there's room for water to get under it. I'm not sure what I need to help stick it down? if this is important?

Looking for 182
No idea I'm afraid.

Hey, if you manage to fix your old one, I'd happily pay you to fix my old one as well, at least then I have a spare should it ever break again.

Yup was my resistor pack too.

Wasn't paying the Renault monkey's to fit it for me so fitted it in their car park with a head torch at 5PM this evening :D

I'll get the part this Friday as I'm off work and then will probaly have a bosh over the weekend at fixing it. Will let you know how I get on. I'm on OCUK so you can find my details in my trust 'BennyC'

Looking for 182
I would use them, but £70 to fix it, when I could probably only sell it for £60 or so is a bit pointless now.

Ideally I'll pay someone off here who knows how to fix them £15 or so, at least then I could sell it as working and make a bit of money back. Or I could just forget about it and move on.

i have this exact problem with my cup... its fitted with the A/c n my window fans are stuck on full i removed the fuse frm the car and they still ran had it in at the stealers the other day and they turned round and said its the heater control panel and tried 2have my pants down for 235quid,,, think il also check this resistor pack and see if thats my problem

Looking for 182
My invoice said something like heater control panel, so I think they are one and the same. It's £120 new, and can be fitted yourself easily (well, it's a bit of a pain but not complicated)

My invoice said something like heater control panel, so I think they are one and the same. It's £120 new, and can be fitted yourself easily (well, it's a bit of a pain but not complicated)

yea they just pure robbing gets like.. think il just buy 1 and fit it myself a mean after all they said they cudnt find a problem with my lights b4 and it turned out 2 just b a loose relay

koi

Audi S1
Defo sounds like your heator resistor back mate. My heaters were stuck on full as well. I took the fuse out the dash for the short term, but it was summer so didn't miss them.

If it's any consolation I bought my pack from Josh at cliospares and its worked fine ever since - Sounds like you were just a bit unlucky.

Thread bump, which fuse did you pull?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I wouldn't be able to tell you off the top of my head, but there's a fuse diagram on the back of the plastic cover.