ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Heater Problems

CTR--VX220D
I posted this in someone elses thread but decided to create one for myself.

I dont use my 172 much but when I have recently I get in turn the ignition and the fan blows OK and does so as normal.

However...

..... If I park up turn off the engine, turn on the ignition on at about 5 mins[or more] later the fan doesnt come back on. It eventually does come back on when I am driving around 15 mins later. Again - if I turn the car off for around 5 mins and then turn the ignition back on again the fan doesnt come on again...

Hasnt anyone had this problem? i.e. intermittent problems not a completely broken fan/heater.

Everyone has mentioned resistor packs - but surely that would mean my fan would not work at all not intermittently like it is!

Could it be the motor/fan/etc. Will all clio fans/motors fit in my 172?

Id love to hear from people who have had this problem or have experienced/fixed it.

Happy New Year.

Chris :approve:

Last edited:
  Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Check the air sampler fan up in the panel beside your interior light.
The are prone to dry joints and knackered motors.

Heating systems yep are the same on them all from memory.

Check the resister pack but being as your cars got the aircon removed I'm not sure what has happened the aircon might be having a right trouble with it. Also check the relay.

Temperature fan shouldn't be an issue

CTR--VX220D
Yes - I had the FF aircon removed - condensor - pump - pipes - etc, and had the Clio Cup alternator and bracket installed.

Yep - I think resistor pack too!

I'll have to order one up when I get a chance.... although my heaters do still work - just not intermittently! It would be a PITA if it was my everyday car!

It has made me think I should buy a heated windscreen and rip out the heaters!

CTR--VX220D
After a long run today ;)

The heater didnt work for the first half of the journey - but did on the second half.

However it started to sound like it was 'chugging' ... almost like a diesel car tickover.... I then turned the fan down to the first bar - it sounded like it was struggling then cut out, and wouldnt come on again.

Think its the motor????

Are all clio motors the same?

Is this what I need???:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-Renau...ryZ10410QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
  CTR--VX220D
Yep - Im going to cross the 2 x black wires coming out of the resistor pack connection - if the fan blows then I know it is OK and it will be the resistor pack....

Are all clio fan-motor units the same? Because there seems to be 2 x types on Autotrader parts - 1 x for non aircon and 1 x for aircon.

What are the differences?

How easy are they to fit?

Never realy checked I'd guess there two typres the air con being the more powerful one since its got a radiator right behind it (the arocon one).

Easy to chnage though bit of a bugger getting the unit out. its all under the scuttle panel.

CTR--VX220D
I think my motor is sticking.

When I get chance Im going to join the live wires over to create a connection to the motor so that I can rule to motor out or not.

Then Im going to remove the motor and check for obvious problems - then order one up if I cant fix :(

CTR--VX220D
ALL FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dismantled the connections - tried to remove the motor and fan. Whilst doing this I gave the motor a couple of taps with a small hammer, just incase the motor had stuck. I cleaned the connections - then reconnected it all up and Viola!!! Its Alive!!!!

Cost me £0 to fix!!! Thats a change!

I have now vaselined all connections and sprayed WD40 everywhere and made sure the scuttle is flush with the windscreen.

Cheers for the help - those of you who tried to help.

Chris

:)

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
ALL FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dismantled the connections - tried to remove the motor and fan. Whilst doing this I gave the motor a couple of taps with a small hammer, just incase the motor had stuck. I cleaned the connections - then reconnected it all up and Viola!!! Its Alive!!!!

Cost me £0 to fix!!! Thats a change!

I have now vaselined all connections and sprayed WD40 everywhere and made sure the scuttle is flush with the windscreen.

Cheers for the help - those of you who tried to help.

Chris

:)

Its Hammer time................ View attachment 15583

Last edited:
  CTR--VX220D
lol

Cheers Brian - I have a nice cold stella sitting next to me as we speak :)

Thanks for the info bud :)

BTW - love hammertime metaphore ;)

Well done.

Being looking at this today when I've been more awake theres two seperate fan types the air con one different due to its design in the heather box. Motors can be bought seperate.