ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Heatshield exhaust wrap

Crappy work hire car
Hey, anyone tried this? Does it actually make a difference? Seems a cheap enough mod...
I know this will be tested in either max power, fast car or redline (can't be bothered to check which) in Feb, but I'm impatient lol

Last edited by a moderator:
  Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Hmmm i'm actually seriously considering this as the under bonnet temps with the turbo are suprisingly high.

Crappy work hire car
That was my initial reaction too duck (lol), but when you read the reviews online it seems that there's something to it - guess I'll have to wait for the mag

Black Gold Trophy
it does make a difference, but the only place you will see the difference is on a rolling road!

Stevieh - I'm sure I've witnessed problems on turbo motors due to heat wrapping as the exhaust gas is excessively hot for the turbo and it can't dissipate it quickly enough and eventually heat seizes! Think it was on a C20LET engine iirc though, dunno if your turbo is water cooled etc...

Artic 182
The main advantage of heatwrapping is not underbonnet temps but it is to increase the heat of the manifold making the air inside less dense allowing it to travel faster.

On many turbo applications it can have an adverse affect and cause the manifold to crack.

Heatwrap is an ideal way to make sure your car properly burns should you ever have an underbonnet fire.

The stuff is lethal which is why its use has decreased so much in motorsport since ceramic coating technology became affordable in club and semi-pro. Heat wrap holds any lose fluid such as oil directly on the hottest component in the engine bay and once it's on fire acts like a wick to keep it burning.

Ph1
For every handfull of fires bet theres many thousands of others who have never had a problem. ;)

I did mine a few years back, took it off last year as it was breaking up. Zero performance difference.

Bagged it up and burnt it on a bonfire and it didnt act like a wick and it didnt burn very easily although that was it bare.

Maybe theres a increased risk if its budget stuff?

Golf GTD Mk7
Icarus said:
Heatwrap is an ideal way to make sure your car properly burns should you ever have an underbonnet fire.

The stuff is lethal which is why its use has decreased so much in motorsport since ceramic coating technology became affordable in club and semi-pro. Heat wrap holds any lose fluid such as oil directly on the hottest component in the engine bay and once it's on fire acts like a wick to keep it burning.

Good point matt. Imagine explaining that to your insurance company. Lol

For every handfull of fires bet theres many thousands of others who have never had a problem. ;)

I did mine a few years back, took it off last year as it was breaking up. Zero performance difference.

Bagged it up and burnt it on a bonfire and it didnt act like a wick and it didnt burn very easily although that was it bare.

Maybe theres a increased risk if its budget stuff?

How's it going to act like a wick if there is nothing on it? ;)

Spilt oil will usualy run off anything hot before reaching its flash point. With heat wrap or similar it holds it against the hot component until it reaches flash point and lights off. PS fluid, brake fluid and engine oil are all flamable if you get them hot enough and do not go out easily. Trust me on this its nasty stuff and there is no point using it with modern ceramic coating options.

Matteh's PAS fluid leaked onto his wrapped manifold and the back of the bay went up in flames on track IIRC, so the danger is there!

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Whilst I'm aware that the cheap ebay speciall stuff is awfull, I've heard nothing but good reports about the DEI titanium turbo blanket and exhaust wrap.

How much is it for ceramic coating? as I might be interested in that as the turbo blankets are quite bulky and space is tight enoungh already.