ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hello All! I've just bought a Renault! What the quiche?!

Clio 172 Cup
Hi all,
After spending my teens and early 20s as a Biker and VW Golf G60 nut, I then had a few years of 300-350bhp jap motors (scoobs and evos), before smashing my left knee to bits in a rock climbing accident. (well, rock falling!) I had an Auto BMW Convertible as I couldnt operate a clutch for more than 5 minutes, and using physio and the girlfriends 54 clio 1.2 got myself back in a manual! (18 months later!) I wasn't sure what i wanted, but figured something cheap ish, but not too old, and lots of fun. Then i remembered the car I've enjoyed driving most in my 14 years of driving was my R5GTT I had when I was 19! Stupidly quick running 14psi, and as unreliable as they come! As i watched her smoke off into the sunset a few years later, I vowed NEVER to own another Renault.
Then my mind moved on to the second most enjoyable/suprising car to drive, my brothers old 2002 172FF, standard apart from uprated springs and an induction kit. Decision made!! It was a 172 I was going to buy. I paid my £10 and became a member!!
After looking at a million adverts from here, pistonheads, autotrader, friday-ad, etc, etc, I sold my BMW 3 days ago for what I paid for it in the summer!! I went and viewed 5 RenaultSport Clio 172's (Cups & FFs), all described as "mint" or "Excellent" condition (none that were advertised on here I might add) and none were, one was even Cat D!! "Oh is it? I didnt know that!" I must add none of the panels lined up, the front was scewiff and the rear bumper hanging off.
Anyway, I decided I definitely wanted a Cup.
I found one locally on ebay, at a dealer, and after a 15 min convo, it appeared to be as nice as it looked, so I took the gamble and bid (Something I would NEVER even consider normally). I won the auction at £3000, the only bidder, and figured it was worth that bid even tho i hadnt heard seen it, heard it running, or driven it etc, as it was a standard 2004 53 reg 66k, fRsh, "immaculate", 1 owner, Mondial Blue etc etc etc!!!!!! :) Long story short the guy rings me saying the price is £3495 and he'd made a mistake on the listing (lol), we had a bit of a heated discussion, and we agreed, 3 hours later, on £3200 if its as described. Him dropping as he made the "mistake" (my ar*e) on ebay, me raising as £3200 is a bargain IMO for what it seemed to be. Anyway it was a shed, fRsh but not all from Renault at all, and as soon as i lifted the bonnet I realised the brake fluid filler cap was missing (its been sat for weeks, nice and contaminated!) and nowhere to be found, and there was more oil over the engine than in it! lol. The rear bumper was split with paint hanging off, wheels kerbed, steering wheel knackered, gear knob decal completely worn away, dents all down the drivers side, blah blah blah. Anyway I walked away and continued my search, a little less enthusiastically and annoyed that I drove the 1 hour!!!! 17 mile journey in dads range rover, in the snow and ice to collect it! Div. lol. And feeling foolish that I'd already purchased springs and an induction kit pmsl!
Then I found it, the advert for a private seller, selling a standard, apart from head unit and induction kit (cancel each other out imo lol) 53 Mondial Blue, 172 Cup, 55k, fRsh, belts done, few bits replaced for MOT etc, 11 months MOT, 6 months TAX, "Excellent Condition", blah blah.....4 miles from my house!!!!!! £3600 no offers. It IS in excellent condition IMO, with 2 wheels having slight scuffs and nothing else I could complain about! I paid £3300 and bought it home. Very very happy! I will get some pictures up tomorrow when I've spent the day cleaning it! (weather permitting) :)
Jon

Clio 172 Cup
Blimey that was quick! :) Thankyou!
Tom, none major for now, eibach pro springs to start with (not fussed about it being any lower than it is but the stiffer the better) maybe an exhaust, but I work until 11pm some evenings and keep it in my garage, the mrs will be pissed if I start backing in at 1130pm making a racket! Lol.

Stripped yozza'd cup
I was bloody lucky with mine, bought the first car I went to see and it's been brilliant. Enjoy it though mate, it's worth the trouble! 100x more fun than your brother's FF ;)

welcome jon, think i need nap after reading all that started reading at 1am have just finished!:sleepy::sleepy:

you forgot to mention what you had for dinner lastnite also what is santa bringing you(more luck than you have had hopefuly)
look foraward to the pics.;)

Clio 172 Cup
I'll try and take some pics tomorrow, only taken some on my iPhone and they're gash!
Thanks for the warm welcome, you sarcastic b*stards lol

Fiesta STripes
Don't worry mate, I have some pics of her ;) ;) ;)

P1030409.jpg

P1030405.jpg

P1030404.jpg

More about my involvement in that car here: http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5225

Welcome to the site, and please look after her, it wasn't mine, but I had to look after her when the owner first went to Prague!

Clio 172 Cup
Merry Christmas one and all!
Cheers mike. Yep that's Leonard! Lol. Tho now he's had a full-on 3 day clean & polish! MINT. And Mum got me some springs for xmas so have just thrown them on! :-D Not the best pics, but here's a couple til the sun comes out...
leo1.jpg

IMG_2270.jpg

leo2.jpg

Mike, there's a copy of your insurance cert (I think, fell on my lap driving home from hove lol) in the car, do you need it or shall I bin it??
Jon

Last edited:
Lol nice intro... When i buy a clio sport i can see that happening to myself, i would ony buy a mint one too. Looks clean mate.

Clio 172 Cup
Lol. Yeh I've read enough about the niggles they have to know you need a good one to start with, otherwise you'll go mad when bits go wrong! :-D

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Welcome .. and congratulations on the most long winded "er, hi, I'm new here....er... Clios.. er....." ever !!

Car looks tidy, but if I were you, I'd whip that IK off though ;-) Ph1 or V6 airbox is what you want on there.

Enjoy !!

Fiesta STripes
My insurance certificate?!?!?! LOL, I put that in there and forgot about it!

I miss that car, but not nearly as much as the lad who sold it to you.

When do I get to see the beast then ;)

I'll pm you my FB details (if you have it)

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Welcome Jonny, lol at the hassle with the finding a nice cup-when I was looking for mine I found 99% of the cups I viewed were much the same. All described as minters yet being thrashed, tatty or damaged once you'd looked them over.:rolleyes:

Mondials such an awesome colour, good effort for finally bagging a nice looker.