ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hello! Looking at 5 172's Tomorrow...

Ex-172 owner. Now a Mini!
Hello, been looking for a 172 Mark 2 Phase 2 for a few weeks now and am going to see about 5 tomorrow. They're all around similar ages but vary on the mileage quite a lot - from about 30k up to about 70k miles for similar money.

I'm only looking at silver and black ones. I've read quite a bit on this site as to what to look out for and it seems I need to be looking for cambelt changes on cars of this age (51 and 02 plates).

Some of the dealers are willing to do the cambelt for the sale and some aren't. My main concern is what to look for import wise....read a few conflicting things....what are the definate signs that its an import? Any other main things I should be looking for when looking at them?

When I (hopefully) get one I will update and get some pics up...then no doubt I will be asking a few more Q's....!

Thanks all!

Octavia VRS
what are the definate signs that its an import? Any other main things I should be looking for when looking at them?

No window etchings, locking wheel nuts and alarm iirc.

As you said, the cambelt is the main worry. Just look for the usual - any evidence that points to the car being involved in a crash, panels not fitting correctly, etc

Welcome to CS!

Thanks! Can't wait to get one. This forum seems a friendly place.... I've just come from scoobynet and vvoc.com after recently owning a scooby and GSI Vectra....now its 172 time to go alongside my company oil burner!

Last edited:
  1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Were generally a nice bunch, just don't dare to spell incorrectly and also don't do any chav modifications or half the members on this forum will bite your head off!

The only way you can be 100% that a car is/isn't an import is if you ring Renault UK with the vin number IIRC and they should be able to tell you.

It's quite easy for an imported car to have been given alarms and locking wheel nuts, but less likely window ecthing.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
good good, lol

Depending on how much your spending you might be able to get a 182 with Cup Packs, which would be a better investment imo

Chocolate Bar™
you'll go to look at the first one, then travel to view the other four and then end up buying the first one. it always happens lol

good good, lol

Depending on how much your spending you might be able to get a 182 with Cup Packs, which would be a better investment imo

Maximum spend is £5,500 so don't think I can get a 182. I have considered a 172 cup but I don't want to be without aircon in the summer... also my bank insists that I buy from a dealer too so I'm gonna be paying more than privately owned cars, but obviously hope to get some sort of warranty too.

you'll go to look at the first one, then travel to view the other four and then end up buying the first one. it always happens lol

Yeh I know! If I really like one car in particular and it fits the bill, and budget, then I'll buy without seeing the others. Have never been one to view loads of cars anyway to be honest.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Seeing as you fancy the Cup you could always try and find one that had teh Climate Control as an optoin?

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
ahh well now that your a member you can look in teh guides section at teh buyers guide.

having mentioned teh 172 Cup with CC as your buying from a dealer it might be a waiting game...

ahh well now that your a member you can look in teh guides section at teh buyers guide.

having mentioned teh 172 Cup with CC as your buying from a dealer it might be a waiting game...

Brilliant, didn't realise that part of the forum existed. Will have a good read tonight before I set off tomorrow...

Yeh, to be honest I'll probably only decide on viewing 3. I'm after a black one really so that automatically takes it down to 3 possibles. Hopefully at least one of them will be a good one! I'll check Auto Trader once more tomorrow morning and then its all go...

Turbos.
If you are buying a dealer car then i can't see it being an import, they don't like having them.

Basically if it has between 36k-48k miles then ask if has had the auxillary belt done as if not it could cause mayhem.

Otherwise, as people have said, the cambelt is important over 48k.

I'd watch out for stuff like the melting steering wheel, something that looks easy to sort but will result in a bigger bill than you think. The interiors are otherwise hard wearing.

Check the condition of the exhaust and listen out for the knocking strut top problem on lock.

Right OK. I'll bear that lot in mind. I thought the cambelts had to be replaced by 72k miles or 5 years, whatever's sooner?

Whats this 'melting' steering wheel thing?!

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Not sure what Englebert is saying as i'n sure that cambelt is 72k or 5 years. Its just prefered if its done sooner.

The steering wheel does have a tendance to erm.. melt if left in hot weather over time lol!

Why does your bank insist on you buying your car from a dealer?? I take it you are getting an unsecured loan??? Or is it a car finance type loan, with a bubble payment at the end?

megane 285 sport
No window etchings, locking wheel nuts and alarm iirc.

]Hiya just signed up, ad my 172 for around about 6 months now, wat does that mean, no window etching.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
I really have no idea, they used to etch the vin number or registration number into teh windows but i'm not sure what they do nowadays

Turbos.
Not sure what Englebert is saying as i'n sure that cambelt is 72k or 5 years. Its just prefered if its done sooner.

The steering wheel does have a tendance to erm.. melt if left in hot weather over time lol!

D'oh, yeah you're probably right. Hope your right too!

Laguna 2, Westfield
172/182 are 36k are they not for the cambelt? its the only the 'normal' clio's that are 72k.
Check for sure though in the service book it'll tell you for sure. 02 reg cars need one now anyway as they are coming up for the 5 years even if they have only done 20k.

Clio 172 mk2
172/182 are 36k are they not for the cambelt? its the only the 'normal' clio's that are 72k.
Check for sure though in the service book it'll tell you for sure. 02 reg cars need one now anyway as they are coming up for the 5 years even if they have only done 20k.

Cambelt on 172 & 182 is 72k or 5 years, whichever comes first.

36k is the aux belt and if the 36k isn't up by five years then that needs doing the same time as the cambelt.

Welcome to CS by the way and good luck finding a good 172/182