ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help buying a 172 tomorrow

Hi guys

Im off to look at buying a 172 tomorrow. Ive been on here for a while trying to do as much research on 172 and just need to know what to look for. I know the basics of what to look for, acident damage, smoke on start up, strange knocking noise while driving etc.

But what i really ned to know is where are the weak points on the car?

The only thing i have seen is that engine mounts dont last long on Sports and this tends to crack the manifold when the engine moves too much. Anything else i need to know?

I need a quick answer as im off to look at a Blue 172 with 32k, 2 lady owners from new, 7 months remaining on the warranty, FRSH, £8,495 ono

Thanks in advance.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Rev the car to 4000+rpm and listen for a horrible rattle from the engine bay - thats the infamous 4k rattle. The centre section of the exhaust will need replacing if its present.

Check for water in the spare-wheel well - something needs re-sealing if its wet. Despite some of the things you read on hear there arent too many major problems with the 172 Mk2. Most things that are going to go wrong will already have failed and been corrected.

At 32k you have an expensive service coming up in 4000 miles time.

320d

Seems like top price to me aswell baring in mind im selling mine for £7700 with less miles and a few tasteful mods that could be sold on

Id be checking for stone chips on the front bumper/bonnet as a sign of being raced

Check the tyres they come with contisports on them so if your luck enough to find theyre still contisports then its prob been drivin gently... mind you its done 32k so i doubt it

i take it at 36k is a cambelt change? How much is this from a main dealer?

From what i have seen of the car i think i can get it for £8.2k ;) But also i have to find either a blue or red car for her as thats what she wants.

I know i can get either a black or silver for £7.5k - £8k, but this blue one is still in warranty so willing to pay for it.

Also, how do i tell its an import or UK car? I know its a code on the chassis number, but what am i looking for?

Quote: Originally posted by Mr GTiR on 07 February 2005

Also, how do i tell its an import or UK car? I know its a code on the chassis number, but what am i looking for?
36k is a check on the aux belt sometimes it doesnt need to be changed but its usualy recomended.

The cam belt is 72k.

You can usually tell its an import as the alarm is an aftermarket one (sensors on the door pillars will be different or missing) and also the windoes wont be etched.

I was told that the Chassis number is different. can someone confirm this please?

How much is it to change the Aux Belt from a main dealer?

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 07 February 2005

36k is a check on the aux belt sometimes it doesnt need to be changed but its usualy recomended.

The cam belt is 72k.

You can usually tell its an import as the alarm is an aftermarket one (sensors on the door pillars will be different or missing) and also the windoes wont be etched.

...now thats expensive!

[Edited by AndyV_16V on 08 February 2005 at 12:41pm]

not going to see the car now until sat morning.

Can someone please answer my 2 questions that i have asked in the above post please?

I was told that the Chassis number is different. can someone confirm this please?
How much is it to change the Aux Belt from a main dealer?
The chassic number for the Mk1 is CBOM and the Cup is CB1N.

Aux belt is done as part of the service and is about £250 total but it depends where you are and what you supply dealers often knock a fair bit off if you supply your won oil which you can buy for less elsewhere.

Thanks for the reply Edde.

Does anybody know what the chassis numbers are for a MKII 172 and also the chassis numbers are for an import?

Quote: Originally posted by Mr GTiR on 09 February 2005

Does anybody know what the chassis numbers are for a MKII 172 and also the chassis numbers are for an import?
The chassis codes are CB1N for the Cup and CB0M for the full weight 172.

However a 172 Mk2 might be CB1N.

As for telling if its an import the alarm is the easiest way to tell if theres an aftermarket one but apart from that and window etching you cannot tell without ringing Renault themselves.

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 09 February 2005

The 1chassis codes are CB1N for the Cup and CB0M for the full weight 172.
However a 172 Mk2 might be CB1N.

As above .. Mines a MK2 import CB1N.

If you are given the original service & warranty book with it... its country of origin should be stamped inside the front cover.