ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help! Car electrical problem (i think)

Im having a bit of trouble with my Clio 16v, shes getting a bit old and beggining to have a problem or two.

If anyone can figure out my problem i will award them with a gold star (unless i can only get yellow ones).

okay, Im happily driving down the motorway at approx 70mph and my dash goes off, engine cuts out, no warning lights, no nothing, all im left with is my radio and a panic look on my face, untill about 2 seconds later when all comes back to life and i can continue my journy a bit slower than before in the left hand lane for a while.

Same proble happens after stopping for fuel, swith the ignition on and no lights, nobody is home. But the engine does turn over when the key is turned, but doesnt fire up. Then as if by magik, all the lights pop on after just giving up trying and everything seems ok again.

Also, when im driving along, if the revs are above or around 3000rpm and i tap the brakes, the battery light flickers?

Im guessing its electrical, i have had a new battery, alternator, starter and clutch within the last six months.

Dont really want to take it to be looked at and have to pay more money if they cant find the problem, so if any of you guys/gals have any idea whats wrong my my car then pleeeaaaase help (not that im getting desperate on this one or anything)

Thanks

Check all the earth points on the engine to body, theres one behind the nearside front arch liner that gets a bit manky.

If thats not it, it could be a faulty relay or ignition switch.

Im a sparky, but Im always fiddling with auto electrics aswell

Dave

Willy2

dodgy ECU?was it raining at the time? you may have a flood in the drivers scuttle panel or the plug is loose!

Thanks, its been doing it while wet and dry. Will have to check the earth behind the arch as i didnt realise there was one there, hope its not the ECU cos im broke, will check all plugs.

Will be back to check back after i have fiddled with the car again