ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help Car Not Starting!

A Euro'd one...
Hi guys, having a dreadful time with my 04 1.2 16v Clio. It just won't start. It clicks but won't tick over.

Tried jump starting it but to no avail. A friend of mine who's a mechanic looked at it and he said the spark plugs might need changing as the engine might be flooded but I don't think this is the case. He also said that the ECU might have shut down the car (or something along those lines) as the oxygen sensor might have picked up that unburnt fuel is travelling down to the cat.

Does anybody have any ideas what the problem might be?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Volvo S60 T5
Could be such a long list of stuff on the 1.2.
Check the basics, like spark/fuel.
Check the TDC sensor is OK.

Really needs a diagnostic check to locate the fault.

A Euro'd one...
Mike@Rentech said:
Could be such a long list of stuff on the 1.2.
Check the basics, like spark/fuel.
Check the TDC sensor is OK.

Really needs a diagnostic check to locate the fault.

Im going to call up the local Renault dealership in the morning and see what they say. Problem is I'm going to need it towed. If it is a Renault problem do you reckon they would tow it without charge?

Skoda Fabia vRS
you say it clicks ?

if so, t**t the starter motor with a large spanner/hammer, and then try it

sounds like the starter is stuck to me

Chocolate Bar™
renault cover should cover towing for a year with no doubts. Because its such an unusual problem on a new car i assume they'd tow it free of charge in any instance.

Golf R/Leon FR
BRUN said:
you say it clicks ?

if so, tw*t the starter motor with a large spanner/hammer, and then try it

sounds like the starter is stuck to me

yeah thats what i was gonna say it used to work on my old old clio!!! lol

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER
^ do it, if it clicks when you turn the key try givin the starter a tickle with a nice big hammer

Clio 1.2 16 - 2003
With a car that new i would just call the dealer give them some s**t over the phone and make them come and rectify the situation. Whatever the problem may be it will be under warrenty.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
does it turn over and the spark plugs click, or just a click sound when you turn the key?

getting new plus wont help if it flooded, just let it stant, or even better, take the plugs out, heat the tip with a flame, so it drys them out then put them back in....

also the ecu dosnt shut the clio 1.2's down for anything...when unburnt fuel went into my cat, it just went faster lol (until it blocked the pipe)

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
and dont bump start your car, it will cause unburnt fuel to go into cat, melt it, then block the pipe...it tells you this in your handbook!

06 Ibiza FR + 02 Clio 1.2
Edit: only Take note of the below if it turns over normally but wont start as if its not getting fuel:

if the immobiliser light doesnt show a fault best to get the top dead centre sensor replaced, about £20 it think, completley fixed all my starting problems, its a common fault on the clio's
probably the best place to start as it is quite cheap.

p.s have u checked fuses etc?