ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help Choose

White Sti Hatch
Ive been looking at cameras the past few days and narrowed it down to two that i would consider buying but i dontk now witch one to go for im stuck between the Canon 400D and the Nikon D40 anyone with either of these cameras give me a helping hand or a reason to go for one or the other ??

Cupra
I'd say the Canon but everybody has their own priorities and mine might not match your shooting:

• High-ISO image quality (better than the D40 according to various reviews)
  • 9 AF points (vs 3 on the D40)
  • 10 Megapixles (vs 6?)
  • Automatic Sensor Cleaning
  • Lens selection - You are limited on the number of lenses that work (with AF) on the D40.

That said, quite a few people here own the D40 and produce some cracking shots so the D40 is not a bad camera at all, I would just choose the Canon for the above reasons.

Oil Burner
i went canon in your situation. I preffer the menu on them, they feel nicer put together (not everyone will agree with that) However the nikon has a beter hand grip, the 400d has a v small one.

Main thing that swung it for me was the choice of long lenses, nikon are well catered for by sigma, and have a few of their own tele photos, however canon have a massive range, and sigma cater well for them as well.

Dont regrett the 400d at all apart from not getting the 40d.

BTW the d40x or d60 is more of a nikon equivilent.

Also bare in mind the 450d coming out march time, and the next cash back offer soon to arrive.

Also look at the sony alpha a200, has built in IS, much nicer to hold camera than nikon or canon. Just a bit more expensive and a much smaller range of lenses (at the moment, getting better and sigma now provide minota (sp?) fit lenses)

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
as said above the 450d is not really i direct comparison for the 40d , quite a substantial price difference too

Shout for the D40 here!! Tried both in the shop and much preferred the D40! Go try both and decide as on here you will get strong arguments for both and the outcome will probably be 50/50!

White Sti Hatch
I went past jessops on sunday there but didnt have time to nip in and have a look at a few and get some advice from them.

Ive got a budget of say £400 what ones should i ask to take a look at when i go in the 400D and the D60 both are 10mp any others that would be worth while having a play with ?

SLK 350
Ignore the 6mp vs 10mp, unless you're planning to print out A3 images you won't see a difference. The other probably more important fact is the 400D kit lens is bloody awful compared to the superb D40 kit lens, so straight away with the Canon you need a new lens.

Nikkor lens are more expensive generally, something to bear in mind. The D40 is widely regarded as being better than the D40x unless making large prints.

Read some reviews by Ken Rockwell.

White Sti Hatch
Gonna go with the 400D i think headin in town at weekend to play around with a few see what i like