ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP CLIO 1.8 16V OIL PRESSURE!!!! PLEASE WOMEN IN NEED OF HELP

clio 1.8 16v

Hi got a clio 1.8 16v 1992 with plastick wide arches and just brought it and drove it around and when engine is cold i get 1bar on idle and 3 bar when 2500 above. BUT when the car heats up it is sitting at 0.2bar until you take your foot off the accelerator then it goes up a little bit to around 0.8 0.9bar then put your foot down it goes down again and stays there until you lift off. when idles when warm still sits around 0.1 bar please please help! it is a 1992 and a girl like me has no idea on what to do. i am a mechanic for bikes but not cars. please help​

Inferno 182 CUP
plastick wide arches??? lol

how are you measuring the oil pressure? does the car have a guage fitted?

clio 1.8 16v
Hi yes it has 3 guages in the middle tthey are the standard one 1 for pressure 1 for temp and 1 for oil level

Inferno 182 CUP
Hi yes it has 3 guages in the middle tthey are the standard one 1 for pressure 1 for temp and 1 for oil level

So they are not like pro sport guages? they are OEM fitted by Renault?

Anyway whats the oil level like? Staying topped up and where it should be?

Might be as simple as needs an oil change and top up :)

oh and thr front wings are plastic its all wider then a 1.4 clio and so on

i dont get it? is that like some chavvy aftermarket halfords thing or does it have factory wide arches :S lol i dont see how this co incides?

Inferno 182 CUP
If your oil pressure stays too low also you will damage the engine internals .. so id get it fixed if i were you.

clio 1.8 16v
renault guages. oil is nearly on max and oils has stayed where its been for a while. its oil is clean new oil in it so i have not a clue. I find it wierd that its fine when cold and it only goes down when warm. lol and its just like the williams clio but in white.

clio 1.8 16v
dunno thought it may help as i no there are 2 different types of clio 1.8 there is the 172 and something els

Inferno 182 CUP
pump? pressure sender? are you using correct grade oil i.e. correct weight?

so no leaks? no visible oil marks around any gaskets anywhere?

clio 1.8 16v
from what i know of it has 10w40 and no oil anywhere on engine and no leaks. where is the sender on the engine? and is it a pipe or wire for the sender

53 Clio's & counting
the oil pressure should be higher when cold, as the oil is thicker, the pressure will lower as the oil thins when it heats up.

I wouldnt pay too much attention to the guage, they can have a mind of their own, if your worried, double check its got the correct oil in, then get it checked out professionally, dont take the 15 year old French guage as accuate ;)

clio 1.8 16v
ok just dont want it blowing up on me as i spent all my money i have saved on her. i dont get an oil light or anything on but now when she is hot she is only reading 0.2 bar when you open her up. where could check the oil pressure any normal garage? x

williams 2,seat leon
the gauges on these things are s**t. mine sits around the same and ive got 5 and a bit grands worths of turbo lump. dont worry about it. as long as the the oil warning doesnt come on, youll be fine.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The thing is, 99% of cars don't have an oil pressure gague and all we do then is check the oil once a week when we wash the car and if it looks ok we are happy.

You have a (Very! lol) unreliable gague made by a man that was drunk on red wine and eating cheese like its going out of fashion and its reading wrong. Don't panic my dear.

If there was no pressure, it would have gone pop by now.

clio 1.8 16v
Thank you all for the help! how can i check it just in case? or use a different gauge? i cant get a manual for this car anywhere and tbh i dont want to pay for one as skint now as spent it all on the car.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
I would put my money on the gauge under reading, but if you are really worried im sure you would be able to find a garage that can check the oil pressure for you.

renault guages. oil is nearly on max and oils has stayed where its been for a while. its oil is clean new oil in it so i have not a clue. I find it wierd that its fine when cold and it only goes down when warm. lol and its just like the williams clio but in white.

1.8 16v (valver) is not just like a williams. Williams is a 2 litre, has a wider track etc Body kit is the same though.

dunno thought it may help as i no there are 2 different types of clio 1.8 there is the 172 and something els

There are two types of 1.8 mk1 clio, the 16v (valver) or RSi. The 172 is a mk2 2.0 model.