ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help clio 172

Clio 172
My clio went in for a manifold fitting kit today and when I got the car back the exhaust seems to be hitting off the rear beam and it's making a hell of a noise even when the car is idling.

Also the car sounds like a train, proper metal on metal grinding that seams to be going with the wheels not noticeable at 60+ mph but slowing down it gets horrible and gets worse when you brake a lough there isn't any vibration or anything like that.
Could it be related to the exhaust getting fixed as it defo wasn't there before?

Any help would be appreciated
Thank you

Clio 172
I know i should Going into hospital tomorrow so dont want to leave it with them plus not sure I want them working on the car again to be honest. Might have to just do it though. Total nightmare

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
So it just went in for the fitting kit? The noise, is it like a metalic noise or?

Clio 172
Yea fitting kit but I seen him with the blow torch thing cutting the old bolts off so was thinking the worst that he might have cut something yea the noise is metallic like metal on metal. You can clearly hear it start when you put the throttle on. And it's really bad at low speed. Only the exhaust was noticeable straight after the garage this knocking noise has started on the same day but after about 5 miles off driving

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Heat shield still there? If so bin it. He will have taken the exhaust off, needs to be realigned. Common to hit the rear beam of not seated properly

Clio 172
Cool cheers for replying man. I'll get my usual garage to do all of the above. Wonder what the bloody noise is thought someone might have a rough idea but I'm not explaining it very well lol. Sounds like the,discs are grinding almost. but it's braking fine and there's no vibration or anything like that, starring wheel doesn't shake ect ect

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Could it not be linked? Check for the heatshield first. The backing plates on the discs could be rubbing. But going out on a limb I'd say check the shield first.

Clio 172
I will check the heat shield and report back . It's just weird how the noise knocks in time to the wheels. I wanted it done before I went into hospital So got budget to do it wish I never bothered now should off just waited for my usual garage to fit it in.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Live and learn. But tbh it's probably something daft/coincidental, maybe. Let me know and hope tomo goes ok

PH2 172
My clio went in for a manifold fitting kit today and when I got the car back the exhaust seems to be hitting off the rear beam and it's making a hell of a noise even when the car is idling.

Also the car sounds like a train, proper metal on metal grinding that seams to be going with the wheels not noticeable at 60+ mph but slowing down it gets horrible and gets worse when you brake a lough there isn't any vibration or anything like that.
Could it be related to the exhaust getting fixed as it defo wasn't there before?

Any help would be appreciated
Thank you
What gaskets/studs/nuts does a Manifold fitting kit contain?