ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help comparing 172 Ph1 with 182 cup please

Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
Hi. Apols if this has been asked before, but I am new to the forum.

I was wondering if anyone else had owned a Ph1 172 and a 182 cup and was able to compare them?

Having owned a 172 back in the early days of June 2000 in Edinburgh, I moved to Weybridge in 2003 and couldn't justify the 2nd car so had to begrudgingly part with it. I have just "got back in the saddle" and got myself a 182 cup so naturally have been trying to re-aquaint myself with the ol' Clio.

What I've noticed is that there are (not surprisingly) many similarities between the cars but I reckon that the cup feels more "nervous" than I remember the 172 being. This isn't during cornering as much where it is unbelievably grippy, but more on the straights either cruising or with a relatively heavy right foot - and not just a bit of torque steer. This could be down to several things...
1. My memory being shot and remembering the 172 with rose tinted specs. Plus my other car is a heavy Audi A4 Avant quattro...
2. The A & B roads in Surrey are much more tram-lined than in Scotland
3. The 182 cup chassis/set-up being deliberately and noticeably different to the 172 Ph1
4. Something is wrong with my new baby

I'm hoping that it's not #4, so advice from anyone else that is able to do a comparison between the cars would be much appreciated.

Love the forum by the way and if anyone else is in the Weybridge area I'll keep my eyes peeled for you.

fUbAr might be able to help, he's gone from a mk1 172 to a "cup packed" 182 in the last month.

I had a MK1 172, Williams, and now got a MK2 182 Cup...

Basically i find the steering seems lighter in the 182 to what i remember the 172 being like, it feels a little more "pokey" but generally not any faster although the difference in gearing is more evident between the two.
Handling wise i would say the 172 gave more confidence with its levels of grip but i find the 182 far to nervous and lacking any decent feedback... personally the 172 was never "mint" but compared to the williams, well in fact i wouldnt even compare the two the williams was in a different leauge!

Inside the 182 seems a lot nicer place to be but still the build quality is SHAT, in fact it seems worse than ever in many respects.

Hope that helps...

Audi TT 225
I raced a 182 FF in my Ph-Quick and there was naff all between em if that helps ;)
Try searching mate theres TONS of threads that discuss ph1 vs ph2