ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help , do codes need clearing or not

197 F1 / Disco 3
Help

I have removed rear seat belts , both front seats , and steering wheel , I have fitted resistors with chocolate blocks to all the required wires , air bag and service light still on
Question is does Clio air bag system self clear once fault ( ie resistor fitted) or do I need to get it cleared ???

I did the steering wheel on the connector behind the squib / clock spring and removed this .. I did start the car a few times before all resistors were in place , I have checked them all and they have good contact
Any advice would be appreciated

Jim

197 F1 / Disco 3
Ads 29
Glad you said that , I have been driving myself mad over this bloody air bag light , I have checked and checked that I have the resistors installed correctly , I am sure I have , then I was thinking last night that maybe the choc block connectors are altering the resistance ?
As I have completely removed the clock Spring it may give different issues
Best bet is probably find someone with clip or similar to check it out ... I will post up some pics when I'm sorted
Thanks guys

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Wouldn't have thought the clock spring would change things if you've already taken the wiring out, I have to use different resistors for the steering wheel though compared to the rest, I've also had to leave the drivers tilt sensor and side impact sensors connected as I couldn't get them to clear no matter how hard I tried.

197 F1 / Disco 3
Ah , what size did you use for steering wheel ..??
I have left in the side impact sensors as you suggest , where is the tilt one , I have probably missed that totally

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Ah , what size did you use for steering wheel ..??
I have left in the side impact sensors as you suggest , where is the tilt one , I have probably missed that totally

I used 3.3 for the wheel, the tilt sensor is in the seat rails, little micro switch that I drilled the rivet out and soldered the wiring back together.

Now I think about it once I had sorted all the issues my light did go out, took me ages to get around all the faults though. Very much trial and error, if you're anywhere near Wiltshire I'm always more than happy to help, I don't have clip (yet) but the diagnostics I do have haven't failed to solve a problem

Last edited:
  197 F1 / Disco 3
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Ads
Thanks for your offer to help , unfortunately I'm in Norwich so to far , plus I have no seats in at moment trying to decide which ones to get
This is what I've done , have I missed anything ??
First pic rear seatbelt pretentioners
Second steering wheel airbag
Third passenger seat airbag and pretentioner
Fourth drivers seat airbag and pretentioner
I have not touched the passenger airbag just turning it off

Clio 182 Cup
I can't say for sure if it clears airbag codes but I suspect it does. It works with a free android app called torque using bluetooth. Using the app on your phone it has options to scan for codes and to clear codes and other stuff too. I had an engine management light on and it scanned for faults and then told me it was the lambda sensor, then I selected clear all fault codes and it was gone!

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I think it's the seat tilt one you've missed, im sure I used 4 resistors on the drivers seat. Occupancy sensor, seat airbag, seat belt pre tensioner and tilt sensor.

If you follow the wiring back on drivers seat you'll find the pair that go to the seat rail, then match them to the car wiring loom and do as you have done with the others and fit a resistor

197 F1 / Disco 3
I think it's the seat tilt one you've missed, im sure I used 4 resistors on the drivers seat. Occupancy sensor, seat airbag, seat belt pre tensioner and tilt sensor.

If you follow the wiring back on drivers seat you'll find the pair that go to the seat rail, then match them to the car wiring loom and do as you have done with the others and fit a resistor
Problem being I sold the seats and they have gone , I tried resistors in every conceivable position with no joy , best get it on clip now and see what it says .... Now to find somewhere with clip to do it ......

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
They definitely self clear once there's no fault in my experience. When I fitted seats /wheels in the past I've often forgot to order resistors, run for a few days with the airbag light on, fit resistors and the light goes out.

197 F1 / Disco 3
They definitely self clear once there's no fault in my experience. When I fitted seats /wheels in the past I've often forgot to order resistors, run for a few days with the airbag light on, fit resistors and the light goes out.
Ok thanks , back to fiddling again , obviously miss one as ads says it probably is that bloody seat position switch

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Does the seat switch need a resistor ?? Every thing on all forums fail to mention this one

I had to refit the switch on mine unfortunately

Just resorted to the dreaded haynes manual, as much as I hate them.
20160124_165655.jpg
My understanding is that in order for the airbag light to stay off the airbag ecu has to see all the above 'working' whether that's by them actually being there or by fooling the ecu using resistors

20160124_165736.jpg

And a key for the above

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Just a thought, the airbag switch in the passenger door card is still connected? That threw up the fault lights on mine too

197 F1 / Disco 3
Just a thought, the airbag switch in the passenger door card is still connected? That threw up the fault lights on mine too
I have not touched door cards or passenger airbag , intention was just to turn it off

197 F1 / Disco 3

Just resorted to the dreaded haynes manual, as much as I hate them.View attachment 145460My understanding is that in order for the airbag light to stay off the airbag ecu has to see all the above 'working' whether that's by them actually being there or by fooling the ecu using resistors

View attachment 145463
And a key for the above
First off need to find out if my seats had this switch ? If it did can a resistor be put in or do I need to get a switch?
Think my car is strange , not sure if it's a cup model or even 172 , I don't have a traction control switch or steering angle sensor , has it been butchered in a previous life .... Need to do some digging

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Chassis number will show what model it is, can't remember what was what off the top of my head, but I'll check mine shortly for you.

French electrics as I'm sure you can see are tedious at best, admittedly I'm lucky in that my diagnostics will read everything so I can keep checking and eliminate things one by one, but with patience and persistence you will get it sorted

197 F1 / Disco 3
Chassis number will show what model it is, can't remember what was what off the top of my head, but I'll check mine shortly for you.

French electrics as I'm sure you can see are tedious at best, admittedly I'm lucky in that my diagnostics will read everything so I can keep checking and eliminate things one by one, but with patience and persistence you will get it sorted
What diagnostics do you use ?? Maybe worth me investing as I have a couple of mates now starting on their track cars , we all want them road legal so need all these bits sorting ..
My chassis number is VF1CB1N0F26876748
Says on V5 Clio sport
3 door hatchback
Variant CB1N
Version CB1N0F
1998 cc
Year 2002

dan's cast offs.
two easy options, get it on clip and sorted that way or cut the wire from the airbag ecu for the light on the dash:wink:

197 F1 / Disco 3
two easy options, get it on clip and sorted that way or cut the wire from the airbag ecu for the light on the dash:wink:
May come to that , do you know which wire from ECU needs cutting ??? It will be an absolute last resort but useful to know

Clio 172 Merc ML55
What diagnostics do you use ?? Maybe worth me investing as I have a couple of mates now starting on their track cars , we all want them road legal so need all these bits sorting ..
My chassis number is VF1CB1N0F26876748

It's a definite sport that's for sure, I use a Launch CRP229, wasn't exactly cheap but does do what I need

197 F1 / Disco 3

Just resorted to the dreaded haynes manual, as much as I hate them.View attachment 145460My understanding is that in order for the airbag light to stay off the airbag ecu has to see all the above 'working' whether that's by them actually being there or by fooling the ecu using resistors

View attachment 145463
And a key for the above
It's a definite sport that's for sure, I use a Launch CRP229, wasn't exactly cheap but does do what I need
looks a quality piece of kit , bit pricey at £500 for what I need to do , mind you I could get the other lads to chip in a few quid each .

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I'm ex mechanic and still use all local tool distributors so whilst it works out to be a bit more I pay weekly so I don't have to fork out in one go

197 F1 / Disco 3
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Got fed up playing with wiring today so finished the outside ....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 86