ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP!! Engine Just Blown Up!! :(

well maybe its not that bad, but i managed to cover a duel carriage way junction in white smoke a few days ago. i 1st noticed it coming off the motorway there were thin wisps of white smoke around the back, and when slowing to under 30 or 40mph it became a lot more, but once over 40mph it disappeared again.

eventually i had to stop for some lights and lost sight of the cars around me bc of the smoke and had to be towed back home. once home i checked some things and i find out the header tank is complete empty of water, so i guess it was steam rather than smoke out the exhaust.

ive only just managed to look at it last night, and found the engine wouldn’t turn over, as i presume water has leaked into the engine and filled the compression chambers? (im not too technically minded! correct me if needed :D )

after about 6 or 7 try’s of turning the engine over it finally kicked into life, although it sounded like sh*t, really poppy from the exhaust (and not in the usual way :) ) and lumpy from the engine :(

i left it running for about 5 mins with the header disconnected and the water spewing out till it stopped and started getting warm.

so, anyone any ideas whats gone wrong and how much to fix it?
a couple of people have sad it sounds like the head gasket has cracked or blown but i thought id see what everyone on here said 1st.

----------------------
forgot to add, its a J reg 1.4e rt

1996 Valver
Sounds like a head gaskett, If you have let the engine get to hot, it may have damaged the block, Get someone to look at it, Sorry mate sounds bad......

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
head gasket too ^

Get that cooling system up to scratch and i'm sure it'll be fine mate. Might want to get some new spark plugs in there too as if the waters got to them they will be fubared.

Get a new thermostat too ;)

CupCake said:
head gasket too ^

Get a new thermostat too ;)

is that in reply to the temp bit i posted :)

to be honest, it never runs over 1/4 way on the gauge, its got an open pipper cross with a cold feed straight to it.

i never get any hot air anymore :(

if ur offering where u bassed and what kind of engine?

would a valver lump fit in it?

also, can someone give me a quick description of what a head gasket does pls :)

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
head gasket seals the block from the head, and keeps the oil and water jackets seperate, 125 is for a engine the same as yours, head gasket will cost 300, o go buy that engine off matt 01254386661

1996 Valver
RT_blackpool said:
if ur offering where u bassed and what kind of engine?

would a valver lump fit in it?

also, can someone give me a quick description of what a head gasket does pls :)

Head gasket is just a seal beetween the bottom half of the engine(block)
and top half(head)

If you fancy a valver, just buy the whole car........you will get one for under a grand now

Pat_986 said:
If you fancy a valver, just buy the whole car........you will get one for under a grand now

money's 2 tight to mention :( + i quite fancy sticking a valver engine into an old 5 door rt *looks for the maniac smiley*

1996 Valver
Fair play; It will fit as the RT and Valver/Williams are obviously based on the same car, the reason I say buy the whole car is because I see as too much hassle, you will need engine g-box, ecu, suspention, brakes+ maybe exhaust + driveshafts, maybe more.....others will tell you

Pat_986 said:
Fair play; It will fit as the RT and Valver/Williams are obviously based on the same car, the reason I say buy the whole car is because I see as too much hassle, you will need engine g-box, ecu, suspention, brakes+ maybe exhaust + driveshafts, maybe more.....others will tell you

ah yeah, great point, forgot about the GB/ECU etc

You don't need that much...engine/gearbox/loom/ecu/shafts/top engine mount/radiator/fan/throttle cable/ignition coil/all engine hoses - it'll plug and play beyond that.

You'll get a valver lump for under 100 thesedays and the other stuff can be picked up here and there...under 300for the lot though.

If you can remove and engine yourself goto a proper scrappy and you'll get an RT lump for under 50...tho it won't have a guarantee i suppose like matts...

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
you said that when you stopped, the smoke got really bad? steam wouldnt have this affect, steam goes as fast as it comes and blows in the wind as its lighter than oil. if it stoppped your vision, then its oil. and it sounds to me as if your piston rings are gone. this could be because your water ran low, causing engine to overheat. simply disconecting the header tank and letting water come out dosnt tell you anything, other than you've got water pressure. if there was water in the pistons, it would have come out of the exuast/inlet manifold (as it get pushed up thru valves). also, if you have water in your pison rings, the engine would have stopped turning over, much th same as if you run your car thru a big puddle! Do a compression test on the pistons....that will tell you alot.

laterz

The Fatty said:
you said that when you stopped, the smoke got really bad? steam wouldnt have this affect, steam goes as fast as it comes and blows in the wind as its lighter than oil. if it stoppped your vision, then its oil. and it sounds to me as if your piston rings are gone. this could be because your water ran low, causing engine to overheat. simply disconecting the header tank and letting water come out dosnt tell you anything, other than you've got water pressure. if there was water in the pistons, it would have come out of the exuast/inlet manifold (as it get pushed up thru valves). also, if you have water in your pison rings, the engine would have stopped turning over, much th same as if you run your car thru a big puddle! Do a compression test on the pistons....that will tell you alot.

laterz

thanks TF, the only reason i lost sight of everyone is because of the amount of steam it was blowing. im 99% sure it was steam.

also, dont know if it makes any diff, but it has had a slow oil leak from somewhere in the engine for the past 6 months or so, every morning there's a few more drips of oil on the drive.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
^^ probs from the rocker cover. mine did that for about a year b4 i desided to change gasket. whats the oil level like?