ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help....Fuel pump (172)

Mk1 172

I went to start my car today it started for a split second then cut out. Now it wont start, its turning over but not firing I think the fuel pump has gone. Is there such thing as a fuel pump fuse and if so where is it located.

Im really tearing my hair out on this one!!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

fuse box. could be a relay too

(all should be under the bonnet near the battery)

Have checked all the fuses under the bonnet they seem ok but they 50 + 60 amp ones so I havent got any spare to check properly. As for relays they seem to make all the right clicking noises.

Another thing should I be able to hear the fuel pump prime when I turn on the ignition? Ive had a quick listen at the rear quarter of the car but cant hear anything?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

you need to get to the pump and check its getting power.

i think you can get to it under the rear seat

Similar thing happened to me week before last. Called the AA out and the bloke took about an hour to start the car. The car was turning over but not firing/catching. There was plenty of fuel in it and the fuel pump was priming. After much messing around he traced the problem to the fuel pump relay. Im not sure if this is the same for you as mine is a 2002 mk2.

Anyway the fuel pump relay is located in the fuse box located on the off side of the car (nearest the middle of the road) There was a row of three little black box like plugs. He removed the one nearest the engine and replaced it with the one nearest the front wing and the car started. He then replaced the original and the car started fine and has run fine since.

Im really not too hot on technical things like this as you can prob tell but I hope this can help in some way

ok cheers gonna try that. it sounds like the same issue.....

Thanks for everyones help cus I havent got a clue!!

It was the relays......ALL THREE!! :eek: Basically some.....ok alot of water had found its way in and fooked the lot. Got two new ones they are in and now the car starts but the other one is for the cooling fan so I need to avoid traffic jams until Renault get me the part.

Thanks again.