ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

help needed for modding valver

172 exclusive no 172

ended up down SANTA Pod to day.. first time down the strip and put in a

16.2 1/4 mile not bad for a high mileage 16valve.

now its time to start looking for performance bits for the engine.

ANY BODY WITH ANY IDEAS?

as they would be greatfully accepted

the engine has been rebuilt with in the last 8 months so it should be quiet relible. ive been thing about a 21 or 5 turbo conversion. any body out there know if it has been done yet??

IMO putting one of thne old fashined turbo engines in would e a step backwards,

the thing with the engine is it is fairly highly strung at present so hotting up cams and stuff wont make massive differnces, to get a usable differnce you would need to go to porting and gas flowed head and manifolds with hotter cams, even then the increase would be small compared with if you did the same mods to a more refined engine say a 2.0 Ecottech or Zetech,

alot of people will disagree but unless you going to spend £?,000s you wont see much differnce.

im not jus saying this beacause i have done it but i would go to 2 ltrs first with the help of a williams or megan bottom end, a good 2 ltr with the mods mentioned can make power in the order of 175 BHP with out compromising drivability, but if your going to pay som,e one to do it expect to see little or no change from £3k

172 exclusive no 172

cheers for that lofty. so 2ltrs is the way to go for starters.

now to source a bottom end.. hopefully shouldnt be that hard.

anybody got any contacts for good breakers that may stock to engine i require..

any body else with the view to tuning..

i good methud i have used in the past tou source difficult bits is a wanted add in the local fre ads (trade-it Loot etc) i thought it wouldnt work but its amazing what people have got lying around, and also people dont bother advertising as they are odd ball items, also when you buy something in this way you can actch people that dont know the value of what they are selling,

i paid £300 for a williams and gearbox with all ancilleries in a similar way,

good look searching

there is always nitros?

172 exclusive no 172

NITROUS

it never crossed my mind. some thing like a 50 shot or so but then there is the problem of which way to do it.

ive heard there is progressive which is there all the time or there is one which acts on full throttle only. is this correct ??

full throttle would be good for the 1/4 sprints though

BMW 320d Sport

Loftys pretty much right - if you were going to put a 5 or 21 turbo in it, you might as well have bought an RT rather than a valver. Ive done most of the mods that are do-able on my 16v, and to be honest, there is very little you can do to *seriously* improve the power output with filters, exhausts etc. Head and cam work has made mine noticeably pokier though. However, the 2.0 lump seems to be very strong in standard form and with head and cam work, you will see solid results.

I would suggest a 2.0 bottom end, or entire lump. The only other alternatives for power you can really feel are a turbo (£3k at BB Tuning?), throttle body conversion (Weber Alpha kit is around £1600 although you do get the full engine management as well), head and cam work runs to around £1500 at Hill Power, then theres nitrous, great for occasional blasts and quarter miling, but dont kid yourself its gonna come cheap. Assuming youre not gonna get the bits you need out of an old skip, youll need at least an 11lb bottle, 50 jets will go straight on but if youre aiming for more than 60 Id say you need a controller. Could be anything up to a grand if youre not fitting it yourself. Then theres the cost of the gas, currently £5.50 per lb at my dealer. Like I say, its a good kick in the pants, excellent for 1/4 miling and those moments when you just have to get in front and surprise people. Not good if you want a generally faster car.

Mine Gott !!!.

I actually agree with Nick !!;)

(I would add another 500-600 to the alpha by the time its on and running and mapped (if ya do it yerself).. but yes.. in agreement..)

hoorah !!