ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

help needed on engine ticking!!

172 cup
hi bought this french tin around 2 weeks ago, has full service history up to 74k and car is now on 81k, and has now just been serviced!! and forgot to mention its a 172 cup with a lad motorsport remap on it! when car is cold starting up it sounds loverly no noises, runs perfect!! left car on idol for 20 minutes and let engine get red hot!! the minute car is red hot, a horrible tappy kinda rattley sound is coming from underneath the head!! the minute you touch the acc pedal it goes and as soon as engine comes back to idol revs the ratlley sound is back, ive had a few people tell me it could be a cam pulley or valve stem!! just wanted a quick word on hear to see if anyones had the same problem and to seek and advice!! thanks lee

clio sport 197 f1
Try Reving it between 2-4000rpm and you have to listen really carefully
see if the noise does go or is still there but just hardly noticeable,
How loud is the noise?

172 cup
it does go, ive just been told by a mechanic of 30 years that he rekons it could be because they have hydraulic tappets, once the oil it gets warm it thins the oil and that is why its making this sound, nothing to worry about..???

clio sport 197 f1
if it goes i dont know but if thats the case what oil is in it
i would reccomend 5w-40 fully synthetic

172 cup
why isit fu ked..? cause when the revs are pulled up the sound disapears, surely revving the car would put it under more pressure? and its coming from the head not the dephaser..?

Lionel Richie
nope as you rev the engine the oil pressure increases hence the "slack" in the dephaser goes away, as the engine drops to idle the oil pressure drops and the "slack" in the dephaser comes back = ratttle rattle rattle

trust me, i do hundreds of these every year, caused by lack of oil changes = wear inside the dephaser = £450-£500 fix

53 Clio's & counting
nope as you rev the engine the oil pressure increases hence the "slack" in the dephaser goes away, as the engine drops to idle the oil pressure drops and the "slack" in the dephaser comes back = ratttle rattle rattle

trust me, i do hundreds of these every year, caused by lack of oil changes = wear inside the dephaser = £450-£500 fix

Come on fred lets be honest, that figure is faaar too low lol