ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

help needed. with clio 1.2 16v 2002..

clio 1.2 16v
​hello, really frustrated.. need help.... i have a 2002 clio 1.2 16v .. i have had problems with this car, i have had the ecu computer checked over and sent back as ok,,, so have put back on... also new coil packs, new genuine plugs, modified engine wiring harness.... but to my disappointment my little car still is sick,,,, i,e
throttler stops working, this is a new fault after putting ecu back on... was ok on way home, traveled 10 miles,, then got home turned off the car,, turned back on and no throttle and engine management light back on... before i had the ecu taken off the car it came up with computer malfunction in codes at garage,,, this car has only done 50,000 miles.. and not looking like it will do any more.... really need help guys .... no one can sort this out for me... help!!!!!! alison watts.. 07873514461.. please if any one can help..xx i live in calne nr chippenham. i think maybe it could be a loose wire... but need more advice.

hey and welcome to the club

are you sure it isn't a fault with your throttle body?

can you get it plugged into a fault reader now the light has come on and give us the code it reads?

we will be able to help alot more then :)

Hello going to try cleaning it and putting back on. Any recommendation before i attempt this lot

Take your time, the only way to clean the throttle body on these clios is to remove the inlet manifold and rocker cover, then you will be best cleaning it by hand with some carb cleaner or WD-40, open up the butterfly valve by hand and make sure you clean the inside as best as possible, they are a pain for build up of crap in the throttle body and take your time putting it back together once you have done

The code from the fault reading would be the most help you could have though, if you can remember the fault code you were given or get it plugged in again and stick the code on here, you would have an answer in the same day :)

hope this helps

clio 1.2 16v
ok, cleaned the throttle body out and, it starts and runs better,, but not idling to clean.... this could be as cold.. just going to take it for a run to get sunday dinner, indain.. yum.. my mate has a computer plug in so i will see if he can plug in for me... the only thing we found to be a possible, is the rubber seal for the breather system was slightly out of shape, so have turnt up side down to have clean flat surface... not sure if this will make a difference... ok just got back from the indian and so far so good.. but the next few days will tell....... you are all so kind for your help. thanks lots.

ok, cleaned the throttle body out and, it starts and runs better,, but not idling to clean.... this could be as cold.. just going to take it for a run to get sunday dinner, indain.. yum.. my mate has a computer plug in so i will see if he can plug in for me... the only thing we found to be a possible, is the rubber seal for the breather system was slightly out of shape, so have turnt up side down to have clean flat surface... not sure if this will make a difference... ok just got back from the indian and so far so good.. but the next few days will tell....... you are all so kind for your help. thanks lots.

Happy to help

stick around, the forum and club as a whole are a wealth of knowledge and are great people to know if anything goes wrong

I would have probably said the Crankshaft Position/TDC Sensor from my relatively short but certainly not trouble free ownership lol. Mine is idling a little rough right now too, and hesitates (really quite violently at times) on low rev acceleration and/or after sitting at traffic lights.

Had recently got the car back from DWS Bodyshop after an idiot decided to drive into my o/s door/wing, so got them to do diagnostic and they said "speed sensor" and then also took over to LRS that fitted my replacement refurbed lump and they diagnosed "speed sensor" too, but explained that with the hesitation = Crankshaft/TDC as Clio's don't have any actual speed sensors.

By all means correct any of that if i'm wrong cause I can only go by what people say, a reasonable (but not expert) skill level, and a Haynes manual lol.

Btw by hesitation I mean the car attempting to stall, but of course not being able to because it's already running/moving. So it just tugs you back, then tries to fly, then maybe tugs you back again, then tries to fly, and then sometimes tugs you a third time. It's really quite fun. Not. lol

Last edited:
  172 Cup
Cue rambling post:
Firstly is it absolutely zero throttle or is it just a bit messy? Is it an electronic throttle (I don't expect you to know this but someone will ;))

The "speed sensor"/"TDC sensor", I don't know how this is different to a regular crank sensor but it should be cheap and easy to replace so it's worth a try, it's apparently on top of the gearbox casing, near where it mates to the engine. Might even be quite a common fault. Two bolts.

Rough idling can be a dirty idle control valve which is on the side of the throttle body normally, I don't know these engines though so it might be different or not there at all. Let all the carb cleaner evaporate completely before you put it back together (leave it a few hours if you can)
Can also be caused by a vacuum leak, not just on the big pipe but there are a bunch of smaller pipes coming off that too, there will normally be one coming from the cam cover and one from the crank case and they might join up at some point. There will also be one connected to your fuel tank via a plastic canister and a valve although these could be located just about anywhere. I think the canister on a Clio is actually underneath the car towards the back but a leak on the pipe between the canister and the valve won't matter unless the valve is operating which it won't do while the engine is cold (probably waits for coolant temp around 40C)
Oh there's probably one to the brake booster too.
Other possibilities are faulty MAP and MAF sensors.

Although it could just be a wiring issue so feel free to jiggle the various plugs and make sure they're on properly. Even if they appear to clip together ok the pins might not be contacting properly, had this problem on my high level brake light on Friday and that alone took me two hours to figure out because intermittent electrical faults are the worst kind of anything ever.

Honestly these things are hard to diagnose over the internet.

If you can start the engine and leave it idling, does it judder all the time or does it slowly go up and down?

If you can get a video of it running rough with very good sound quality and a good clear description of what happened before it started to play up that could help.

Last edited: