ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP! New Catalytic Converter on my 182 - I'm so confused

Clio Sport 182
I have a new Cat for my 182 and I have a milltek cat-back exhaust with a cat replacement pipe.

Jacked the car up at the weekend ready to put the cat on for MOT time but I'm slightly confused.

Looking at the decat pipe, there appears to be 4 bolts, 2 at either end but on the cat there are only two holes for these bolts on the manifold end and then a bulge at the other, I assume the bulge is inserted into the exhaust pipe and then the pipe is clamped around it?

Has anyone refitted their cat on a milltek exhaust, am I missing something?

Cheers guys

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
No sure what your asking mate but there is supposed to be two bolts at the manifold end of the cat, that connects the cat to the manifold.

At the other end there are no bolts just a rim that you slip a clamp around. This then clamps to the exhaust.

I'm not sure if millteks are different, but given your problem im guessing that they must be as it's pretty straight forward.

Clio Sport 182
The Boosh,

Probably didnt explain myself very well,

The cat is fine its how I expected it to be, the problem is with the decat pipe it has four bolts, two at either end if I take it off how will the cat fit back on, It doesn't look like I'll be left with enough pipe to clamp around the cat.

Hope thats a bit clearer

ITB BG 182
On the manifold you should have two holes with caps in these have spring bolts that then go through each side on your cat, at the other end where you have a bulge or collar you need a little section of pipe that fits over the edge with an exhaust clamp that will fit around the edge to hold them together then the end of the small pipe section just goes into you exhaust.

Clio Sport 182
Ahhh, I see, that makes sense now

One last question about the lambda sensors, there is one before and one after the cat right? When I come to taking the decat off, the one before the cat be fitted to the decat pipe and the one after the cat be tucked out the way somewhere?

Sorry for being an exhaust noob, thanks guys

Last edited:
  ITB BG 182
Yea with a de-cat you can take the sensor off and put a blanking plate in, but with a cat you should have two sensors in one before and after in the cat.

Clio Sport 182
What a weekend I've had trying to get this sorted.

I've been to three different garages to get the cat put back on the car and each time I have been told that it's not the right part and it's not going to fit. This even includes the garage where the exhaust pipe was originally fitted. Lol

We have established that it will fit, with a small piece of pipe with the same diameter as the rest of the exhaust. It just needs to be clamped to the mid section of the exhaust like John182rs's diagram earlier in the post.

I can't understand how a cat-back exhaust that has a cat replacement pipe has caused me so much grief. Has anyone else had this much trouble or is it down to me buying a milltek?

I'll be the first to admit that I know nothing about exhausts, but it appears that the people that should know about them either can't be arsed, or know just as little.

Rant over

monaco 172
What a weekend I've had trying to get this sorted.

I've been to three different garages to get the cat put back on the car and each time I have been told that it's not the right part and it's not going to fit. This even includes the garage where the exhaust pipe was originally fitted. Lol

We have established that it will fit, with a small piece of pipe with the same diameter as the rest of the exhaust. It just needs to be clamped to the mid section of the exhaust like John182rs's diagram earlier in the post.

I can't understand how a cat-back exhaust that has a cat replacement pipe has caused me so much grief. Has anyone else had this much trouble or is it down to me buying a milltek?

I'll be the first to admit that I know nothing about exhausts, but it appears that the people that should know about them either can't be arsed, or know just as little.

Rant over

because the milltek decat pipe doesnt have the same fitment as the stock exhaust and cat like the kteks do, it can only be used with a milltek system.

Clio Sport 182
because the milltek decat pipe doesnt have the same fitment as the stock exhaust and cat like the kteks do, it can only be used with a milltek system.

So if you were to buy the milltek cat-back exhaust without the decat pipe, it wouldn't fit you're standard cat? Or are you saying they remove other parts of the standard exhaust system when they replace it with the decat?

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Standard cat spring loads at the manifold end & then will clamp to a milltek System as above in the MS paint-

S

monaco 172
So if you were to buy the milltek cat-back exhaust without the decat pipe, it wouldn't fit you're standard cat? Or are you saying they remove other parts of the standard exhaust system when they replace it with the decat?

not sure how it works mate, im assuming they supply an adapter to make it fit the standard cat? because if you look at the picture of the milltek decat it doesnt have the same fitment as a normal decat.

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2491&catid=8&appid=2&pic=2