ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP, ph1 high idle...sticking???

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Just bought myself a lovely ph1, but when coming to a stop it more often than not sticks at around 2k rmp idle?

This can be solved by blipping the throttle when it happens, and then it settles back down? Is something sticking? Possible air leak has been mentioned, but wouldn't this be constant? And revving it wouldn't make a diffrence?

It also only seems to stick if I've been sitting at a constant speed for at least 30 seconds minimum. If I shoot up through the gears and then come to a stop it doesn't seem to happen.

Please help :-( and excuse and spelling errors, on iPhone.

172 Race Car
Had this on mine, was the throttle body. Worth trying to clean it but i had to get another. I got a megane one from GDI in the end

Insignia SRi
Rob stop being a div! Lol
cleaning the throttle body is a piece of p!!s, just disconect the air box and induction pipe you will find the throttle body attached to the side of the engine just give that a clean and it should help

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
It's either a sticky spring or a freyed throttle cable. They frey and stick in some plastic shielding which can cause this.

340i
Take the throttle body off, give it a good clean (WD40, Carb cleaner, GUNK etc.)

Make sure the spring mechanism is clean and properly lubricated.

Failing that you may need to replace the throttle cable, they do stretch eventually and cause erratic idling .. A cheap fix, around £20 from Renault and takes 10 minutes to replace :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I love you all very much, and Steve, I've had the car a day, I don't know my way around the engine!!! LOL!

I'll give all that a go when I get a chance, I hope it isnt the cable, although Mr Gray says its easy to do! lol!

Now to post a new thread with a different problem...

Passenger door can not be opened from outside...?

And if you do something to the locking mech, then you can make it open and close from the outside, but it doesnt lock? i.e even if you lock the car with the fob the passenger door doesn't?

(If anyone reads this first and has any experience, please comment)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It won't be a throttle cable (Well, shouldn't be, its not long had one)

The throttle body is a piece of piss to clean out dude. There is a guide/thread on here somewhere, i'll go find it.....

SQ5
Mine does this a lot, cleaned the spring and everything up and made it worse! Lol!

I'm just going to get a new one!

330i. E30 Touring.
Probably a combination of the throttle cable and throttle body.

I cleaned my throttle body, and greased the cable and it make a world of difference..

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'm playing squash tmrw mate, but will be home after that???

Sounds like the TB needs taking off and cleaning, (something we could do in an evening?) as the door lock I'm royally stuck on that?

Iceberg Ph1
Dont happen to have some form of after market filter? esp the kind of the sticky spray on? Causes the TB to stick open, I cleaned mine, took 20mins! lol.. Good luck!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
It has a carbon BMC CDA, I'll take it all off tmrw with mike, clean out the samco bend totally, check the filter isn't fubar'd and then clean the TB.

Ph1
When the car idles high open the bonnet and see if the black TB disk in the above link is resting back against the blue idle return gromit. If its not resting back, you'll be looking at either a worn spring, a dirty spring or a worn cable.

To check if the springs worn (worn as in lost its tension, become baggy), look for a shinny area on the spring where its been rubbing thus causing the sticking.

Iv used carb cleaner in the past to clean the spring.

Brand new upwards of 200

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
200? Ouch!

Well it could be the cable, but I'm becoming more sure its the TB, it only does it once warm, a cold engine won't do it, so I can only assume that heat is making it stick, going to have a go a cleaning it with carb cleaner tonight on the car, see how it goes, if not I've got a sticky one being posted to me, I'll take that right apart and clean it up to brand new, see how that works.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Good clean of the throttle body seem to have sorted them problem for now, result :)

I'll try cleaning up an old one when I get it, if it comes up well, I'll fit that.