ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help Please - Now Starting To Lose It

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Got a knocking / banging noise under braking at slow speeds when coming to a stop and it is a Rotational noise, it only started the other night after having 3 people in the back, Would this maybe have caused the problem ?

I have had the car on a ramp at work and hand a good look under it and cant see anything wrong with anything, The springs & shocks are fine as there is no knocking or banging when going over speed bumps.

This will only happen after about an hours worth or driving and the car has been fully heated up and run in, when cold i dont have the issue atall.
Even when driving along and then turning the car off and back to the ignition postition this noise is still there under breaking so i have put it down to brake at the rear.

Spoke to the guys at work who all worked at renault for years and they say that rear discs where common for cracking or pads coming out there shimms but the discs and pads are less then 6 months old and they are genuine renault parts.

Im going to change the following

Handbreak Cables
Rear Discs
Rear Pads

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue or can throw some light onto this problem

Clio 197 Cup
Hi,

When you say rotational noise, is it a constant sound when you brake, or do you get a single 'clunk'? If its a constant then yes, discs and pads may be at fault, I have seen when the pads start to move about in the caliper on some cars, if a single clunk, I'd check the caliper bolts and the floating pins as these may be loose / slack.
Not sure if this will be it, but worth a look :)

How fast were you going when you had your 3 passengers in? Did you give the car a wee bit of stick on the brakes?

Twingo GT
i had a similar problem and i found it was the caliper bolt had come out and when you braked it was the caliper bouncing up and down

8v mk 1 yeeeeee
caliper carrier bolt is a possibilty. its what made me strip my car down completely. as in engine/box out to find out what was up.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Hi,

When you say rotational noise, is it a constant sound when you brake, or do you get a single 'clunk'? If its a constant then yes, discs and pads may be at fault, I have seen when the pads start to move about in the caliper on some cars, if a single clunk, I'd check the caliper bolts and the floating pins as these may be loose / slack.
Not sure if this will be it, but worth a look :)

If im driving and doing around 30/40mph and i brake i dont hear the clunking/banging till around 10mph and slowing down from there and when it starts its a constant rotational noise till i stop.
Even when free wheeling with the engine off and the car out of gear it still does it and its 100% coming from the rear end so it has to be a braking issue as there is no knocks / bangs when going over speed bumps or cobbled roads

How fast were you going when you had your 3 passengers in? Did you give the car a wee bit of stick on the brakes?

Nope, driving like miss daisy as with a full car its not exactly comfy LOL

i had a similar problem and i found it was the caliper bolt had come out and when you braked it was the caliper bouncing up and down

caliper carrier bolt is a possibilty. its what made me strip my car down completely. as in engine/box out to find out what was up.

I have ordered new disc's & pads aswell as rear handbrake cables and im getting them all changed on sat morning at work so i will have all the bolts checked and then maybe get some loctight on them also.

Thanks for all the input and help

Lionel Richie
Marc you always seeem to just change parts without finding the cause first!!!

check that the spacers are fitted behind the rear discs

handbrake cables will have nothing to do with it, probably a sticking rear caliper has cooked the disc and cracked it

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Fred i like to spend cash ;-)

I have started buying and collecting parts for when the car comes down to you.

The reason for the handbrake cables is cause the have worn away at the hole on the rear beam so i decided to buy some new ones.

Hoping its not a caliper but we will soon find out tomorrow