ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help please, Toshiba laptop won't boot up

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Hello,

I've got a Toshiba laptop I use purely for iTunes and for storing music and pictures. I've gone to turn the laptop on this morning and it won't boot up. I get met with a message that says that a removable storage device is missing and I can press enter or tab. If I press either, the screen goes blank for a few seconds and the error screen reappears.

Is there a fix for this?

Is there a way to boot the computer up?

Thanks in advance

2014 Clio 200t edc
My toshiba has recently done this. Looks like my hard drive has gone. Does it say a disc is missing or something? Are there any noises from it on boot up?

CBR1000RR Fireblade
No unusual noises, just noise it makes when I turn it on and the fan kicking in. Yes, it says that a hard drive is missing but it states that it an external one. I've never used an external HD with this laptop.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
When you turn it on you should see a message saying how to choose boot device, press the required button, choose the hard drive and it should start up, if not it suggests the hard drive may me knackered.

Evo 5 RS
Do you know where the HDD is located on the laptop? Usually two screws and a lip on Toshes. Unscrew it and re-seat it, might just be a dry join

CBR1000RR Fireblade
When you turn it on you should see a message saying how to choose boot device, press the required button, choose the hard drive and it should start up, if not it suggests the hard drive may me knackered.

As I posted in the OP, pressing either the enter key or the tab key (my only options) does nothing but load the screen again after a blank screen appears for a few seconds. What would be my options if the HD had packed in?

Can I get anything off it and onto another HD?

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
If the hard drive is properly broken your data is lost, I had one last month that wouldn't boot but when I plugged it into my desktop it appeared and I grabbed the data, if your lucky its the same.

i would try pressing either f10 or f12 on startup, just hammer the key after turning it on, might show a boot selector, if it doesn't allow you to enter the BIOS it could be more serious than Hard drive but chances are your data is safe.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I've removed the panel covering the HDD, I removed the HDD and then replaced it making sure it's seated correctly.

I tried booting up the laptop and it has done exactly the same thing.

Evo 5 RS
Is it a mechanical drive or an ssd?

If its mechanical you might find its the pcb that's shat itself. Which isn't too hard to retrieve data.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
It's a Hitachi mechanical drive. There is a plastic compartment, underneath sits the HDD which can be sliden out and back in again. There is a computer shop round the corner from me, do you reckon it's worth taking up there?

Even if they can get the data off it, I have nowhere to transfer the data to

2014 Clio 200t edc
Try pressing the esc button like mad when it starts up, that's how I got to the bios screen on mine, then select hard drive. It'll show either **gb or 0gb.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Nope, I've been meaning to buy an external HDD for months and like a fool, I've kept putting it off. I'm not too bothered about the music as most of that is on CDs knocking around my house somewhere, it's the pictures I'm bothered about.

Gutted isn't the word.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
If you need it back, there are companies out there that can retrieve data from a dead hard drive.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I've left it with them. They have sent the hard drive to head office to have a go at getting the data of it. Apparantly they have more facilities there.

Evo 5 RS
Will be a clean room job. Have a good company down in the South West that do retrieval for fairly cheap. By fairly cheap I'm talking about £350.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I'll live if I don't get anything off it, I'm still pretty pissed off though. I'm not paying £350 to retrieve the pictures.

There's software you can get fairly cheaply that will give it a go. It isn't right good though. You should get some stuff of it though. Unless of course it's completely knackered and won't even spin up.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I'm going to order a cable to connect the HDD to our lasses laptop and see if I can get anything off it.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I've been messing about with the laptop this morning. I've got into Toshiba's set up utility and it's displaying the HDD as if its being recognised. I've taken a picture of the screen;

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351247752.433736.jpg

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
That is the BIOS btw.

i expect you will be able to retrieve data from it, but it may be a bit flakey and randomly drop out. Best thing to do is get a connector to plug it into a laptop usb port and see what happens.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
On the screen shot, it shows I have 2050 something MB. Would that be some of the space on the hard drive?

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Sounds promising, I'll have to wait until the transfer kit arrives to know for sure.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Right, I really wanted to buy a mac book pro but I've just spec'd one up and its come to £1200. I don't have £120, never mind £1200 so that's that idea out of the window.

Instead, I've decided I'm going to have a bash at repairing my laptop and to prevent this happening again, I've found a SATA solid state drive.

So;

I've looked at the laptop and removed the panels underneath, removing the HDD and exposing what I think are the processors. I don't want mess about with the processors so I replaced that panel and I replaced the other panel covering the HDD.

I've found a replacement SSD;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007BBQQ04/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Is it just a case of swapping the drives followed by installing windows again on the new drive then transferring the data across?

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Some pictures of the removed HDD;

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351447746.614479.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351447762.527902.jpg

As far as I'm aware, this is a hitachi 2.5 inch SATA 160GB HDD.

Is that correct?