ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP!!! PROBLEM WITH BRAKES!!!

BMW 330d :)
Over the last couple of days my cars brakes have got worse and worse...

The pedal goes spongey and further down to the floor.

I took it too my local garage today and they advised me that the pads and disks all round were near the end of their life but also that the brake bias control valve has fallen off the car completely at the back!!

The mechanic thinks the majority of the problem is down to the pads and disks but I think that the problem is down to the control valve as when I'm driving it, it feels like the rear disks and pads are doing most of the work!!

The brake pedal is also getting closer and closer to the floor over time which suggests that the rear pads are getting worn out much quicker as they are doing all the work. I had the rear pads changed about a month ago and the mechanic said that they are heavily worn already which supports my theory...

Another point is that there seems to be much better stopping power when going up a hill (the fronts feel like they are biting), but when going down hill or on flat roads there is very little stopping power.

I would really appreciate peoples help, I have already bought new front disks, pads, rear disks at a cost of £150 (euro car parts) and i'll have to pay another £40 for rear pads. I've also been told that the brake control valve at the back costs about £60!!

HELP ME PLEASE!!

Cheers
Fraser

clio 172
id hate to say it mate, i work on my own brakes and dont cut corners or cost, i would, if i was you listen to mechanic and swallow the cost, they might just stop working, then you would be stuffed going down one of those hills!! ps in he past 4 months ive spend about £400 on my clio`s brakes, its a hot hatch and it eats them like a snack. tyres are normaly dessert!!

LY 182
if he is on about the actuating arm for the bias valve the mechanics dont know what they are on about - they arent fitted from the factory because of the lack of abs

No its a cup so it doesnt have abs.

But the guy at the garage said the bolt was missing from the valve to adjust the balance of braking force from front to back depending on the weight in the car.

Any other ideas guys??

clio sport cup 172
i had this problem on my cup, pedal went spongy, had to stamp on pedal to stop, changed the discs and pads, when taking the caliper off one of the sliders was siezed, one of the pads was worn right down, maybe this?

Hopefully it is just the pads and disks but the braking response is getting worse and worse. Im just worried about this valve at the back that wasnt connected to anything and was loose..

172 Cup
The cup still has the valve at the rear, and is factory set so no adjustment. I'd get the master cylinder checked out, if the slaves on the wheels show no sign of leakage. Also the servo mat be at fault or a leaking vacuum pipe, I've moved my car down my drive without the engine running - foot goes to the floor and has no brakes.

clio sport cup 172
will have mine up on ramp tomorrow will have a look for this valve, try to take pic so you can see what mine looks like.

Hopefully its not the master cylinder as I think that will be expensive...

I'll try and get a pic of it but its hard without a ramp...