ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help - Renault service nightmare

I was hoping for soome opinions or advice.
I have a 182 and have posted on here a couple of times - since about 5 or 6000 miles I have had problems with bump steer - it is awful the slightest bump on the road pulls the steering wheel all over the place.
I took it back to reno who wouldnt admit any fault and gave me the car back with the fault still there, I have been back two or three times since and they always tell me the same thing - no problem found.

Recently I took it to another reno garage on the 18th of april 06 and finally the mechanic that drove it was aware of the problem, nice guy and suprisingly helpful

they have replaced a gearbox seal and exhaust as they were clearly faulty - but although they have admitted there is a steering fault, they do not seem to be able to fix it - so far they have taken the car for a geo check and say its all ok, they have checked all joints and subframe etc - no problem there.
now they want me to replace two front tyres at a cost of £250 - I think this is unfair as I already have new front tyres (1000 miles) and when I changed them it made NO difference.

I am stuck, dunno what to do - I am suposed to have a warranty so surely they have to fix the problem at their cost not mine - if they change the tyres and it doesnt fix the problem then it obviously wasnt a tyre fault so I shouldnt have to pay - any help or advice would be excellent.
Also if anyone has the customer service number so I can complain to reno uk that may help.

oh and they still have my car in the garage after two weeks

thanks

172 Cup
FWD car with low profile tyres is going to suffer tramlining to some extent.

Have you had the tracking or geometry checked properly?

Is it a problem that suddenly occured at 6kmiles? have you hit/bumped anything etc??

Rob.

PS why, if already your tyres are ok would they want to change them, what reason?

It didnt suddenly occur and I havent hit anything - I first noticed it around 5000 miles and it has got worse ever since - until now when renault finally noticed it.
Reno want to change the tyre as "that may be the problem" and "we need to eliminate the tyres" anyone can see that the tyres are virtually new (but not pe2's) they want to put 2x new pe2's as that "may fix the problem"
I have already explained that if they fit 2x tyres and fix the problem then I would pay - what I complain about is having to pay only for them to say its not fixed (and I know its not the tyres as changing them TWICE before did not fix the fault).

Mazda MX5 1.8
just borrow some steelies or any others that fit. that will 'eliminate tyres' being the fault for them

car already has nearly new tyres - they think its because there not pe2's (khumas) - still dont see why I should fit steel wheels - what the fk is the point of a warranty if I have to diagnose my own problems.

Strange how they seem to recognise there is a problem but cant find it if they have checked everything??
Do you have different tyres on the back to the front then?
did you notice it after they fitted the new tyres?
Like clio chris says if you can change/ borrow some other front wheels see if it feels the same/ different etc then you will no if its because you dont have PE2s!
I know that the 182 is very sensitive to tyre pressure have you checked that?
33psi at the front 30psi at the rear could be worth a try do check them when the tyres are cold though not driven!
I know when im driving and hit bumps uneven surfaces etc the steering can move all over the place thats most likely to be coz of the size of the tyres!!

hope you get things sorted..

Rob.

Volvo S60 T5
Shocks, only say that from my own experience with my car, handling was never that good with mine but was used to it so didnt bother sorting it, to busy doing everyone else's cars.

Put new springs and shocks on mine friday nite and it drives and handles way better than it ever did before.
Maybe try get them to change the front shocks under warranty???

Thanks Mike

Ill have a go when they call me today - I know its not the tyres and reno promise me they have checked all the bushes. So I guess it must be front shocks, top mounts or steering rack.
Tyre pressures are ok too, I do have different tyres front and back, but it was the same with pe2's all round so it aint the tyres.
My main problem is the fact that reno admit a fault, but cant find what it is - now they want to start charging me to replace bits that "may resolve the problem"

I dont think they can do this - if its broke they should fix it, if they cant identify whats wrong then they should change bits at their own expense, not mine.

Got a call yesterday afternoon - finally some progress - they think there maybe something up with the front shocks, so they are going to change them under warranty.
I live in hope..........................