ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP! Strange banging/clunking/knocking

Astra 1.9cdti XP

I have an annoying noise which is hard to describe which seems to be coming from the front of the car. Its like something mechanical is loose and moving around.

At first I thought that Shocks gone? Then I thought the exhaust may have a problem (since Renault have just replaced it). Then I remembered people mentioning engine mounts!!??

Getting very worried driving the car!

Its like a very quiet rumbling which seem to eminate from under the car at the front. What could it be???

Lee

BMW M2C

Mine does it, and they cant fix it. Apparently the fix only takes on 8/10 cars. Its the front suspension strut tops.

I drove another 172 at the weekend and managed to get that to do exactly the same thing.

Lee

BMW M2C

Mine rarely does it under hard acceleration. It does it a lot more under slow cornering on half to full lock.

Mine does it to, Renault have had the car for 10 times, 10th time for 3 weeks still on going, they say that have pratically rebuilt the front end but the noise is still there, it seems as though they are accepting rejection now, so i would advise to keep on at them as at the end of the day the car shouldnt be doing it.

Quote: Originally posted by geordiepaul on 12 November 2003

Isnt that the one that happens under hard acceleration???

Mines doing it all the time!!
Thats more than likely an engine mount. Mine finally gave way after an enthusiastic launch from some traffic lights. Am getting it looked at on Friday.

You probably ran over a badger and it got stuck in the engine bay. The noise is probably the animal just trying make a bid for freedom.

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 12 November 2003

Mine rarely does it under hard acceleration. It does it a lot more under slow cornering on half to full lock.

Mine does that excat thing to, really notice it when i am going round the ramp at a car park etc. Sounds worrying but only when i am on full lock.

Never had it look at though.

wheel bearings? if youve got renault assistance, maybe call them out - at least youll know whats wrong with it? Arent you from filth gatecrasher sheffield?

CTR EK9 turbo

Mine too. Did it very early on, as soon as the power picks up in 1st gear at around 4k+.

It was fixed at SMC Woking (where EVO takes/took their old V6) and that lasted a long time->it was ok until now and its doing it again.GREAT. Just as i want to sell it too. Woking told me that its an engine mount beneath the battery that they modified(?) or tightened or whatever. Took it in the other day to a different garage and they couldnt fix it (well it was ok for about 15 miles then started again, with no aggravation). In fact they didnt fix anything on the car that it was booked in for and i still ended up with a £50 bill?? hmmm..... I may print this list out, or the other post i started with people that have had this problem and send it to Renault or something...

Lee

BMW M2C

I was out with y0z in his Cup last night and that does exactly the same.

Im pretty sure its the same thing that you have Paul.

The car’s possessed or something, mines the same, except Ive tried suspension units, bushes, wheel bearings and the next phase in the lobotomised heads of the local Reggie dealer are - wait fot it..... Anti-roll bar bushes. Ill post if it goes, although when I originally went in 5 months ago some one said it could have been the track rod ends or drive shaft...Im glad its on an extended warrenty plan, especially when they havent looked at the drive shaft yet....gulp. But I see light at the end of the tunnel, its going to be nearly new at the end of it!

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Just got it back from Renault! They have re-greased the shocker tops (what ever that means) and the problem has gone.

It has also fixed the squeeling on full-lock which a few people have mentioned above.

On the downside though they lost my locking wheel nut!!!!! :(

It might have gone for now, i have had things done to mine for the same thing and it only goes away temporarily, i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if it doesnt come back fair play.

There is a knocking on my Cup- its very slight & only happens when starting it up, or at manuevering speeds- taking up/disengaging drive in 1st or reverse. It comes from the drivers side suspension & sounds like it could be a spring or shock or top mount, rattling against the car itself. Reno have attempted to fix it on numerous occasions- top mounts, shox, top engine mounts, driveshaft, rear engine mount (unrelated), steering rotary switch , greased bushes, mounts etc- but it still happens occassionaly. I can only assume it is a desgin thing, and I havent got the time or patience to keep returning the car to Reno. I was originally pi ssed off at spending cash on a brand new car to have knocks from it- but it doesnt affect the handling, it goes like like sh*t of the prverbial shovel, and now that they have fixed the reoccuring problem with the alternator adjuster (kept snapping or popping out) it doesnt affect my driving experience in any way. How I look at it is, if this was the 60/70/80s & you were driving a car with the Cups performance, youd end up under it every day for all manner of things. When I think about it like that, its been pretty reliable!!

I just had the renault technical experts report, they say that the noise only occurs when driving very quickly and on uneven road surface,they think the noise is thydraulic fluid in the power steering pipes when turning sharply and one of the front wheels being kicked back by uneven road surface, there is no solution there for no further action to be taken by them. Well maybe no further action by them but there certainly is on my part, im not giving up i didnt pay to have a brand new car that is faulty.

Have you never questioned it? its wrong it shouldnt be there, all othermakes of cars donthave it so why should renault.

Quote: Originally posted by RiaP on 20 November 2003

Have you never questioned it? its wrong it shouldnt be there, all othermakes of cars donthave it so why should renault.
Ah, someone with inexperience of actually trying to deal with Renault dealers....;)

Apparently nothing is ever wrong with their cars. Even if it totally drops to bits and youre left there with a seat and a steering wheel, I think youll find that it is "within manufacturing tolerances"!

I have been dealing with renault for the past 8 months with this problem and they have had thecar in 10 times the tenth time has been 5 weeks now still on going, the dealer has admitted to me that it is not acceptable but i am stillfighting with them to get some sort of solution, i thinkit is absolutely appauling the way they treat their customers, i will have no hesitsance to take this further, if the dealer has admitted theres a problem and the renault technical expert has admitted theres a problem but only when driving quickly and on uneven road surfaces, what do they expect me to do ask the council to resurface every road and driveat 20mph, if i wanted to drive that slowly i would have stuck to the 1.2 16v, Renault sport 172 its called sport is the operative word made to be driven fast otherwise it wouldnt have 172 bhp. I will win this !!!!!!!!!!!

Clio Trophy ,EFI'd 5GTT

i had the knocking noise when turning and cornering fast ,after lots of attempts on trying to fix this i was raging but eventually they done sum mod to the strut tops and it was ok.

but not for long ,it has now started doing it again when cornering slow and even more worring is the extreme banging noise when u give it sum in 1st

i am going to have to take it back again to be looked at ,the only problem is i totally cant be arsed with all the hassle of dealing with the dealership ..

i wish i had a time machine to go back and give mysell a good shake when i decided to buy the cup.

i totaly regret it

Clio Trophy ,EFI'd 5GTT

reading these boards i find it quite alarming that it is the same problems all have with there cups/172

why has there never been a recall ?

why dont renault give a sh*t about the end user ?

it is obvios that the build quallity is sh*t and i think most will agree we should get a letter from the club and inform renault and ask them the story cause to me they take us all as mugs...

rant over

I am going back to renault tomorrow to whinge a bit more, of they think they send me a report saying no solution come and pick your car up is the end of it they have another thing coming i will let you know what happens, baring in mind that the managing director of this dealership is also the md for Renault UK and he accepted the fault before hand this is ludicrous.

I will gladly back up any stories of knocks bangs & rattles should anyone decide that a letter should be sent from the club to RenoUK- I d gladly wait to see their reply too- they clearly do not care about the user of the car. Much as I like my CUP, and I do like it, it is not built as it should be.

I have had it on mine as well took it to Rno and they adjusted something. lasted a couple of miles and then the same again. took it today for rattle in back, knocking in front and the gaitor decided to jump out as well. Mechanic said nothing to do with reno, not covered on warranty. complete W****r. he said it was to do with hands free????!!!!! got on to line manager who had a 172 in the past and booked it in for new year. he told me, and showed me the faults in 5 minutes.front knock is the suspension mount. He showed me how it moves when he turned the steering wheel. just needs lubricating and tightening. Back rattle is dry seal, and it is known for gaitor to jump out but will sort it out on warranty. anyone going to rno in nottingham ask for bob the line manager. Top guy!

so hopefully, new year wil have everything sorted.

:D

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

The banging noise in first is one of the problems I have, had it since I got it.. took it in and renault fix was, stop accelerating hard.. great I buy a 172 only to use 10% throttle all the time.

Someone just posted a thread entitled axle tramp about it, although as BenR kindly pointed out there is no axle. :p

I think a club letter would be an excellent idea, sent to renault UK. All 172 owners with the problem could put their name to it.

Someone claimed to have had it fixed by tightning/replacing the engine mount under the battery in the 172.

Embarrassed to say

Just found out what this problem is from the excellent r-sport. They said to me its more psychological and doesnt effect the speed of the car. Although last night after picking the car up from rsport (having been fixed in some way to eliminate the banging) the car felt like it was going to take off. Full throttle in first gear past that clicking bit was amazing (its like the front of the car is going to take off), even my brother (having previously driven the it) tried the car and noticed the difference.

However this morning before work, I took the car out and applied full throttle and bang bang bang it was back.

From what I understand (no mechnical knowledge) its the engine banging against the subframe and it cannot be soughted because the warranty does not allow such modifications and it would require moving the engine so it doesnt touch the subframe. Supposedly its within the manufacturers tolerance for faults.