ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help - Travelling - Few questions!

SLK 350
Right starting my 6 month trip in little over a week, so I need to buy some new kit to document it all. I have a DSLR, but am NOT taking it, too big, too heavy, and shouts "rob me!".

Questions:

- I'm looking for a good compact P&S with a decent optical zoom (10x ish), and that takes decent shots with little start-up. Budget, not one really, but £200-£250 to narrow the field. Samsung WB500/Panny TZ26(27) were possible from those I've seen.

- Also, what online service would you guys recommend for uploading my photo's to whilst on the move. I couldn't bare to lose my memory card, so plan to upload them as I go.

Thanks a lot in advance!

SLK 350
Doing 3 months in South America, 2 weeks in NZ, 1 month in Oz, 2 months doing S.E Asia... can't forking wait, shall pop some piccies/blog on here.

Will check the Panny out, gonna try and haggle a decent price on Tottenham Court road next week.

Any further suggestions?

Fiat Panda 100hp
I'd take my DSLR if I was you... get some cracking shots. I'd just insure it before going. 50mm - 17-50mm and a small tripod.

SLK 350
Nah, going proper light mate. Just haven't got the room/inclination to carry it around for 6 months. If I need one I'll buy one out there, but P&S will be first choice.

SLK 350
Right, had a quick play today with a TZ7.

Good:
Zoom.
Big screen.
Video/Pics quality.
Quickish startup.
Zoom during video.
Face detection seemed good.

Bad:
Proprietary battery, £50. Allegedly poor battery.
The stupidly flimsy mode select wheel.
Mode selector, again.
Button placement, illogical.

Still not entirely sold and tbh if I could get a decently priced TZ5 I'd do that instead. As it is I need to try a Samsung WB500/550.

Can't understand why they'd flaw such a good camera by being anal over chipping the battery and putting a wheel with zero weighting, .5 of a cm next to the shutter release/zoom.

Was this demo one broken, or are they really that bad?

Mk2 ph1 clio
Not sure on the compact. I have a kodak Easyshare 12mp and its spot on, nice and easy to use.

As for hosting, Flickr + pro upgrade. I use both flickr and photobucket and don't trust photobucket one bit. My files were lost twice.

SLK 350
Well considered the Samsung WB550, the Sony DSC-H20, the Canon Ixus IS200 and the Lumix TZ7.

TZ7 won, arriving tomorrow from Camerabox, £317 with Samsonite case, spare (official) battery, 8GB SDHC HS, Gorillapod.

Look forward to shooting some HD video, and shall post up a review in a day or two. Hopefully the issues I raised in my earlier post will dissolve once I re-adjust from SLR to P&S.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Won't get anything now without a proprietary battery - the Ixus ones last forever though! Quality. The Panny does well too - got my boss to get one and he's made up with it.