ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help! What's wrong with my engine?!

DMS

A thirsty 172
Right folks, can anyone help me? I've done a search but not found anything specific to this....

Basically, I was driving home earlier doing about 60 in 5th. I dropped down to 3rd to overtake another car when I got to a straight bit of road. I felt a clunk and my engine has been rattling really bad since.
The noise seems to come from the top end of the engine but I don't know enough about them to have any idea what's going on.

Video:

th_IMG_0081.gif

The noise gets louder the more I press the accellerator and it ticks in time with the engine.
It sounds well and truly F.U.B.A.R'd. I need to get it sorted pronto because I rely heavily on the car to travel the 23 miles to work every day and there's no other viable way of getting there.

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited:

DMS

A thirsty 172
Right... this is very difficult because I'm posting this from my phone.

Hopefully this video should work:

[youtube]Ww2bhpaNPZg[/youtube]

Mk2 1.2 Campus
Have you got a pop carton in your back wheel?

Have you checked the pulleys and belts to see if anything is touching?

DMS

A thirsty 172
Can't see anything obvious wrong.
The noise seems to be coming from under the inlet plenum towards the same side that the cam belt is on.
There doesn't seem to be any loss of power while driving otherwise I'd have noticed on the way home. I'm leaning towards it being something wrong with the timing.
How big a job would it be to get the dephaser pulley swapped out? It's due a cambelt change anyway so would it be worth getting the lot done together?

DMS

A thirsty 172
It'll be going to a garage at 9 in the morning. Doubt it'll get sorted until next week though. :(

sounds like the belts loose or something major failed on the dephaser!.....sounds too 'tappy' to be bottom end or anything....

whats the oil level like?

same thing happened to me, was giving it some, big clunk, pulled over, aux belt had shredded, but a new loud clicking sound was happening when revving, low and behold it was he de-phaser pulley..

DMS

A thirsty 172
My aux belt definitely hasn't shredded, but I suspect that'll be getting changed tomorrow too.
The general concensus is that it's the dephaser pulley. How much is that likely to cost to get sorted? I presume it's worth getting the belts changed at the same time, since they're due anyway?

ValverInBits
I'd defo put money on the de-phaser from that vid. The noise even gets louder toward the cam pulley end.

DMS

A thirsty 172
I can see it costing me a couple of limbs and a healthy testicle whatever it is TBH.