ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help with cambelt idler pulley

Just doing the cambelt on putting my car back together (the previous pulley broke up), it seems I've got 2 different parts having bought a cambelt kit.

The original has quite a wide bearing inner race, the new one quite narrow. In my naievity to try and get it to fit I'd taken a grinder to the block spacer which I had for the wider one (which pokes into the inner bearing race), but the bearings are different thicknesses.

Question is can I get hold of a new spacer to make the new idler fit, or am I better off finding a replacement spacer and the older, wider-raced bearing?
Times like this I wish there was an online parts diagram system like PSA's servicebox!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Just doing the cambelt on putting my car back together (the previous pulley broke up), it seems I've got 2 different parts having bought a cambelt kit.

The original has quite a wide bearing inner race, the new one quite narrow. In my naievity to try and get it to fit I'd taken a grinder to the block spacer which I had for the wider one (which pokes into the inner bearing race), but the bearings are different thicknesses.

Question is can I get hold of a new spacer to make the new idler fit, or am I better off finding a replacement spacer and the older, wider-raced bearing?
Times like this I wish there was an online parts diagram system like PSA's servicebox!
So just to clarify, are you fitting a new belt kit, or reusing the old one? I'm trying to understand why your idler pulley has broken up if it's new - I'm assuming it's the original one that's done this?

The genuine renault belt kit comes with the new spacers to go with the new idler rollers. You might be able to get these as separate items from Renault, but I'm not 100% sure.

Yes, sorry, I bought a new kit from an eBay seller advertised as correct for a serious discount, but it seems it's not 100% complete!
Reason for failure was the old pulley on the inlet side broke up, my difficulty is with the pulley on the tensioner/exhaust side.

I'll have a stroll down to my Renault dealer and see if I can get the spacer separately or just buy a whole new idler.

Sorry to double-post, but a picture of the two side by side. Old one on the left has a very thin bearing, the right-hand one is much thicker. I think I've found the differences in the dimensions, so I might be able to hack my spacer up rather than buy a whole new idler pulley.

XPSkWPl.jpg

A little update to this.

I couldn't get the spacer quite right, so relented and went to the dealer. The right-hand one with the thicker bearing wasn't specced for an F4R apparently, so we couldn't get a spacer to match. I went for a new spacer and idler as per the left-hand one for £35inc VAT from them. Cracking service as ever from the local parts chap.