ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help with Low idle and cutting out on my GF's 1.2 16v

White Evo V
My Girlfriend has a 2002 Clio Expression 1.2 16v 48k miles. It idles really low sometimes and cuts out, worrying! :S

Sometimes its fine but it happens even on warm starts, not just cold starts. Its really bugging me as I cant understand what it is. Today I dropped the oil and used engine flush, changed the coolant and flushed out the radiator, did the filters and spark plugs, still the same?

What could this be?

Thanks

White Evo V
Is that just a guess or have you had experiance with this? I dont want to buy a coil and realise it isnt that! lol

Mine would idle badly and was overfuelling and replaced the coil pack, on the 1.2 it comes as a complete unit, coil pack plus HT leads.

53 Renault clio 1.2 16V
I got a coilpack for 45 quid and had the crap idle and juddering at low speeds, fixed it so give it a go mate can't hurt.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
My 1.6 does this and has done for months, no fault code logged for anything. Even after the 72k service with new plugs, filters etc it was still the same. Recently passed its emissions test too, so o2 sensors must be working of sorts.

Come to the concluiosn on mine that the richness may be from an air leak somewhere. If it was coil related, I'd have thought the faulty one/s would have failed by now.

White Evo V
wheres the tdc sensor? il just try both! and yeah it idles at bout 600rpm most of the time, then cuts out when you try to pull out of a junction!

White Evo V
Have you tried cleaning the throttle body ?

A quick search should bring it up for you.

Yeah tried this, the throttle body isnt like it is on a 172, its a stupid plastic box thing! tried cleaning it though. Gunna go to the local scrap yard tomorrow and get a tdc sensor and a coil pack n just try it. Can someone tell me where the tdc sensor is?

Titanium 182
It's either on top of the bell housing or on top of the flywheel. Don't know which.

{BC8C6B02-F05A-4A1B-A4DC-A5E9ECE36941}.jpg

Looks like this.

Clio Expression (2003)
I've exactly the same problem with my girlfriends clio.

Changed the coilpack (comes wth HT leads attached) and although its improved it, it still hasn't gone away.

See my other post for a bit more detail.

Its going into my mates garage hopefully this week or next to get a diagnostics done. Had it on the computer and came back with no error codes. Done an emissions test and all was fine aswell.

Don't know if its common but can also hear a "sucking" of air from behind the engine somewhere. Is this a common feature, never noticed it until we revved it ever so slightly & I had my head stuck right in the engine bay.

Let me know if you find out whats causing it & I'll report back with my finds.

White Evo V
I've exactly the same problem with my girlfriends clio.

Changed the coilpack (comes wth HT leads attached) and although its improved it, it still hasn't gone away.

See my other post for a bit more detail.

Its going into my mates garage hopefully this week or next to get a diagnostics done. Had it on the computer and came back with no error codes. Done an emissions test and all was fine aswell.

Don't know if its common but can also hear a "sucking" of air from behind the engine somewhere. Is this a common feature, never noticed it until we revved it ever so slightly & I had my head stuck right in the engine bay.

Let me know if you find out whats causing it & I'll report back with my finds.

Yeah that would be great, if you find the problem let me know and if I find it il let you know! I tried to get a coil pack today, no joy! I can get one from Renault through a friend for £45 but I really don't want to spend £45 if it isn't that! Same with the tdc sensor coz that looks like a nightmare to change!!

Clio Expression (2003)
Cars booked in for thursday so should have an answer by friday at the latest (as long as all goes well)

A few
Mines having the same as the original poster. Did you managed to get this fixed? and was it a coil pack and the HT leads?

Da

Less
Low idle and cutting out is almost certainly TDC sensor. Renault have revised them too so there's a bit of loom to alter, nothing major though.

A few
Just had the TDC sensor fitted today and still have the same problem. Will keep you updated. Anyone else have this problem?

182/Bora V5/S1 RS Turbo
At the back of the inlet manifold you may find a steel "box" painted black. Its some sort of security device.well it comes loose and rubs thru the wiring causing a short. remove box,wang over shoulder(with care as its quite heavy) and repair wiring and make water proof.....done