ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help with mk1 172 speedo problem

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro
Well it looks like even though the Clio is leaving my hands, she's still trying to suck all the money out of my pockets.

A while ago when installing the SMT6, the speedo sender unit caught fire. so thinking nothing of it, I went to renault to buy a new sender unit for about 20 pounds and took it to my mechanic to install. when he tried to install it, it turned out that a piece of the old sender was stuck inside the gearbox, so the box would need to be removed to get the piece out.

I booked the car in and the mechanic removed the box, sorted out the little piece of the old sender and put everything back together again, but still the speedo needle doesn't move, so he traced everything, checked fuses etc, but still nothing.

when doing the cluster diagnostics, all the needles and lights come on properly, but he thinks that when the fire broke out, it might have shorted the wires from the sender which fried a circuit in the actual dial cluster.

Does anyone have any further ideas of what to check before I have to splash out 350 pounds on a new dial cluster?

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro
cluster looks ok, swapped it out with another clios,
Now checking wiring between ecu and cluster

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro
After all that...the replacement speedo sensor was also faulty!

Now...anyone have any ideas how i can QUICKLY run the mileage up from 50,000km to 100,000km???

I have 24 hours