ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help with the williams

monaco172 and ph1 172
Firstly thanks in advance if anybody can shed some light

Williams clio put it in gear nothing happens
clutch feels normal but doesnt feel any bite try putting it in reverse with no clutch and it crunches. try putting it in second and it goes straight in.
Engine turned off and put it in reverse then you can roll the car about as if its not in gear. Anybody any ideas?

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
I'd hazard a guess its something wrong with the internal (complicated:S ) gubbins inside the box or could be the diff is cream crackered.

I'd try swoppin for another gearbox cos I think you'd have to take the box off to try an find wots wrong.

Although the 1st thing I usually do when my valver plays up is kick the s**t out of the offending area (sometimes works :rasp: ) then come askin on forum lol

Megane Team II F1 R26
could be a number of things, pinnion gear gone, sheared the diff.... would need the gearbox out to investigate :(

Diff circlip.

drain the box, whip off the pass wheel remove the shaft and you'll see the diff. circlip will probly be chewed up.

mine looked like this when i had a similar problem:
DSC00141.jpg

BMW M135i
If it was the diff circlip (what I thought initially) they why can he put into 2nd without the clutch?

If it was the diff circlip then surely he wouldn't be able to put it in gear without the clutch and he'd get speedo drive but no drive to the wheels.

does he have drive in second?

circlip has gone then its like someone has the clutch down all the time (hence being able to roll it in reverse) and speedo doesnt always have drive when the circlip goes. (mine didnt)

only way to tell really is striping down bit by bit.

best thing to do is new clucth and box as if it has gone it will go again.

BMW M135i
Yes but diff circlip intact or not it shouldn't go into second without the clutch down unless he's got other serious problems.

Short answer, new box time.

monaco172 and ph1 172
thanks for the info guys starting to get a good idea of what to do when i get home from offshore only probelm is still 12 days to go:(. but will give me 12 days to try line up a new box incase.

monaco172 and ph1 172
just found a gearbox advertised from a renault 19 turbo diesel as a jc5 is this correct and will it fit straight in.

There are a number of different varients with different gearings - you need the full set of reference numbers really. Then I'd recommend looking on WilliamsClio as someone's posted all the different ones that exist!