ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Here’s a tricky one for you guys...

Ok, say Im reversing out of a parking space. When I put on full right lock on the steering and continue to drive out slowly I get these thump noises from the front axle which you can actually feel. (feels a bit like running over a pipe or something...) It also happens driving forward with full right lock, but never turning left (forward or reverse). Any ideas on this one? :confused:

Happened to me at multistorey carparks as i was on full lock going up levels, i solved the problem by stopping visits to multistorey carparks! Mine was like yours, it did it turning right but never when turning left..bit weird..

-Rob

Sounds like it could be a problem with the drive shaft. Or it could be that the tracking has been bodged up in the past and you have more lock one side than the other.

Z4 Coupe 3.0 Sport

I had the same problem, but have recently had new wheels put on and got the tracking done on them and never hear that noise again!

btw, this was fixed by accident, didnt put new wheels on to fix it!

Hmmm, I think you might be right about it being the tracking. I had my front bearings done not long ago, and I dont think it did it before that! They may have messed the tracking up when they did that. By the way, heres a funny story for you. When they were doing the bearing and came to take the wheels off, they couldnt! Apparently the nuts were rusted onto the wheels! They had to heat up the nuts to get them off (slightly marking my alloys in the process) and ended up costing me about £450 because of the time it took!! Buggers!

I realise that i dont own a williams but on my mk1 172, i got thumping noises from the front end which was eventually traced to the front suspension top bushes. This noise was audilble turnign the weel in either directrion. Might be an idea, if mine can go after 3 years and 36 k miles.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

sounds like a driveshaft.cv joints arent avaliable separatly so you would need a complete shaft.