ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hey All. New Member with Q...

Clio 172 Cup
Hi everyone.

Just a quick note to introduce myself to the forum. I come from Oxford and I run a 172 Cup in Iceberg Silver. I've just part-exed my beloved R26 Megane so that my other beloved could have the Mini Cooper she wanted so badly and, so that we're both happy, I've spent a bit of change getting the 172. It was a toss-up between a 182 or the 172 cup but, as I'm sure everyone will disagree, I think the 172 cup is the model to get. Especially if you live in the deepest, darkest countryside of Oxfordshire, as I do.

Anyway, the car, it's a 2004 registered 2003 model. No dents, one tiny scuff on the rear bumper and a steering wheel in one piece. I picked it up yesterday, after looking at a LOT of examples, with 49,000 miles, all history and MOTs to prove, new MOT, new cam belt & kit, aux belt, oil and filter. In the process of viewing it and picking it up I drove approximately 500 miles plus spent a torturous 8hrs on public transport. Such fun.

Most of the good points are mentioned above but there are a couple of issues that have come to light on the second, 160 mile leg, of the return journey today - one on the last bit of country lane before my house. It's a road I know like the back of my hand but it is horrible, fast sweeping bends suddenly become tight with nasty adverse cambers that will easily pitch you into a hedge. Anyway, the R26 ran like it was on rails round there and the Mini is pretty impressive also but the Clio was nothing short of lethal. It seemed to get into a sympathetic bounce as the springs/dampers compressed and started trying to pitch the rear into the air. I was pretty surprised, especially after 250 or so trouble-free miles.

Im guessing the rear dampers are on their way out. I accept that I was asking far more of them than an MOT would so I don't suspect foul play there but it's going to need sorting.

So..... Is there a walk through on the site anywhere?

Cheers, Nex.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Welcome.

Leaky shock absorbers are a common fault with Clios. I'm not sure if anyone's done a guide for it but if they have, you will need to be a paid club member to view it.

Welcome.

Yeah it could be the rear shocks if that the feeling your getting, they can be bought as a pair for under a hundred on Ebay.

I *think* there is a guide if you become a member to view the guides section but its still straight forward to swap them over.

Maybe check the springs in case one is fractured or snapped, and tyre pressures.