ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hi 106 gtiowner looking to buy clio 172 cup soon

106 gti
Hi i currently own a 106 gti and am looking for a newer car with better performance and good handling which is why im thinking about getting a clio 172 cup, what are the good and bad points about these clios as i dont really no much about these cars as iv had 2 106 gtis and a 106 rallye s2 over the past 3 years. has anyone else come from owning a 106gti or rallye on this forum? if so what will the differences be between the clio and 106?

Thanks

Hyundai i40
i have own a gti and QS......the clio handle alot like the pugs but a little bit nippier

i found it car up from the pug with abit more power

take one out for a test drive u will fall in love!

oh and hi and welcome!

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
ello matey welcome!

i owned a saxo vtr and vts! nothing would budge me not even my mates 172 ffr! thought it was more than i needed with that leather and aircon!

little did i know they would launch the cup lol! love it to bits! and would never now go back! be warned the cup aint to everyones tastes as it has no aircon abs or leather you do get power steering and eleccy windows an mirrors which is enough for me! up to you but the big downer is cup killer season is upon us (no abs)

just got to be careful and she will survive

imo the cup looks better and is the drivers choice

but each to their own

more thrilling drive knowing that the car pulls all the way but i found the handling a little hard to get used to! atleast you can get your feet in the footwell tho! its up to you but the extra power over the gti is obvious once you drive one

j

Last edited:
  106 gti
thanks for the replys so far. I like the sound of the cup because it seems like a real drivers car like the 106 s2 rallye. gonna be getting myself a test drive i think.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
defo if you were neared i'd say feel free. but its a bit of a trek. if you take the plunge invest in the good brakes and tyres first, given the time of year! thats what my next payday is going on i think! made the mistake in my vtr and left her on ditch finders (nankangs) thru the winter! she was a write off before november hit in! never again! but yeah defo drive 1 and being another french car the lack of the creature comforts is just less to go wrong and less of a distraction lol!

j

The Jinx
Welcome dude. Funy though, a mate of mine has been tooling around in his sisters 172 Cup and thinks the chassis is a bit "meh" compared to the 106. So much so he's gone back to owning a 106.:D

106 gti
i wud keep the 106 but its just there getting abit old now and its time i moved on to a better car really. i had my rallye through the winter they have no abs or power steering it was an experience to say the least lol

Welcome fella.

I wouldnt get the Cup personally, but its all personal preferance, but id want the toys. The speed difference is very very very small and you'll never notice it on the road.

The 172/182 might be ever so slightly quicker, but not by a lot. None of the ones ive been up against have left me standing (ive got a GTi)

I see your reasoning, the Clios are better built and still have the speed.

Id got for a 182 if you can stretch to it or a 172 but not a cup.

172Petey

I have a CUP172 after owning a Saxo VTR.

Best car i have ever owned, the Cup has much more to offer than just a little less weight but you should drive both a normal 172/182 and then a cup and make your own mind up!

106 gti
i can see me doing a bit of test driving over the next few weeks i have just fallen in love with another 106 s2 rallye with a 16v gti engine in im so confussed lol but i think the clio is def the next step forward. i would love a 182 but there somuch more expensive and idont wanna go getting finance or loans etc, im sure u will all be hearing from me on here with a 172 of some sort soon!!!!

The Jinx
Funny again. My mate went from tooling around in a S1 Rallye to an E30 M3. That got written off in the summer floods so he's just bought a 16v GTI engined XSI. You probably know the one in fact off the rallye register. Been stripped to under 800kgs.

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
I had a vtr and moved onto a 182 with all the cup bits. Saxo was more nimble, gave better feedback and believe it or not had a better driving position. The Clio has fantastic brakes and over 5k seems to start shifting well. If i were you, get some cams remap and 266mm brakes from a 306 gti and your laughing.

Clio 172 cup
I had a VTR and have just got a 172 cup.

the saxo feels alot lower, and the steering is lighter but it just doesn't have the same kind of power that the cup has.

The power of the cup is brilliant, effortless i would say. i didn't have all the toys in the saxo (ABS, aircon, leather, etc) so i didn't miss it as i've never had it.

Only thing i would say is that it seems that cups are a bit more expensive to buy over a FF172.

Get a cup. you won't regret it at all

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
drove a 172 ff yesterday! phhhfffft!!! never letting go of my 172 cup!
just not in the same league!