ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hi all, new guy looking for help with a clio autograss build

Kia Sorento
Hi all,

I'm an autograss racer and soon will be building a new car. My plan is to build a clio in the stockhatch class. Details on this class are here.

The basic idea of the class is a 1.6 8v powered hatchback with minimal mods, I can use any 1.6 8v renault engine in a clio as long as it doesn't require too much modifications to the existing engine mounts to fit (minor mods to mounts are allowed). So it looks like a K7M engine would be the one to use probably fitted in a clio 2.

However as there seems to be a lot more 1.2 clios around especially in the price range I would consider acceptable for a donor car I was wondering if anyone could tell me if a K7M would fit into a 1.2 clio without much hasse or are the mounts completely different?? If so I would have to buy a 1.6 from the start.

The class is currently dominated by Saxos, 106s and novas but being a contrary bugger I wanted to build something a bit different so decided on a clio as fiestas are far too heavy and sportkas far too expensive.

If anyone has any thoughts then please chip in on this thread as all advice is welcome.

Cheers AR

Many.
Shells are all the same, so no different on engine mountings other than the alloy pieces that join everything up..

Throw up a project thread, should be a good read!

Kia Sorento
Shells are all the same, so no different on engine mountings other than the alloy pieces that join everything up..

Throw up a project thread, should be a good read!
That's great info thanks. Looks like a cheap 1.2 shell would be the way to go. Do you have any idea about the wiring harnesses for both engines? Are they likely to be the same or will I have to source a 1.6 harness as well?

Many.
With a 1.6 harness, it'd be super easy.

I'd imagine, as long as both are Ph1/Ph2, you should be able to just plug the 1.6 engine bay loom into the bulkhead plug.

Where abouts are you?

172 Cup
Welcome, I went to my first autograss meet the other weekend was great fun. Was my two friends first race one has a class one mini and the other a class eight.
Good luck with your clio build.

Kia Sorento
With a 1.6 harness, it'd be super easy.

I'd imagine, as long as both are Ph1/Ph2, you should be able to just plug the 1.6 engine bay loom into the bulkhead plug.

Where abouts are you?
Great stuff. So I will be looking for complete 1.6 engine and gearbox, mounts, loom and possibly ecu. Although if I could find a 1.6 clio that would solve the problem, just not many out there it seems. [emoji20]

I'm in Romford Essex. [emoji106]

Kia Sorento
Welcome, I went to my first autograss meet the other weekend was great fun. Was my two friends first race one has a class one mini and the other a class eight.
Good luck with your clio build.
[emoji106] it's a great sport with lots of good racing. Glad you enjoyed it.