ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

hi im new considering going renaultsport

renaultsport 172
hi all im looking into getting either a 172 or 182 after a little more power than my polo gti

basically prob been asked a million times is it really worth shelling out the extra to get a 182 when it comes to power?

or spend the spare change from getting a 172 on engine mods?

thanks in advance Gav

Clio 172
There's no performance difference in the two, just 182 is the newer version. I've just bought a 172 over the 182 purely because it was cheaper but also the styling is more subtle which I liked, don't want idiots in Saxo's wanting to race me because I have a twin exhaust!

172 phase2 since2003
my mate had a 182 and was always giving it thet he,s 182 was way quicker than my standard 172 mk2 and that mine was slow as f**k and bla bla bla about 0-60 times and what he was getting at santapod ,one day i got pissed off with it all and let him have it and there wernt nothing in it 10 bhp:rasp: is a load of b****cks..
so save yourself some cash mate and get a 172 anmd when you get used to the power and handerling ( three wheel tripod style) .chuck some cash at it and get it tuned and chipped .
insurance on a 172 is a group higher than the 182 though ?????
hope this helps mate!!!!!!!:cool:

Blown up 182 & Mondeo TDI
No real difference IMO, i have a 182 but thats because when i bought it the 172 had stopped production. Only bonus (If you can call it that) is you get Cruise as standard. Take both out and see what you think, your money at the end of the day

tiTTy & SV650
coming from a VW be prepared for a shock to the system - build quality aint fantastic but the handling and bang for the buck is great.

If you see yourself doing engine mods just get the 182 as the mods will be begging for the improved exhaust manifold the 182 has.

The 182 does make better power if its a good one so there is something in it granted not a lot.

a 182 offers the pace of the lighter 172 cup with the toys of the full fat 172.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
The 182 gains its 10bhp from a freer flowing exhaust...thats about it.
A 4-2-1 manifold and twin exit pipes the main contibutions to it.

Other than that its purely down to personal preferences....i.e do you want a newer one with less miles or do you want to save a bit of cash and put it towards the older car.

Then all you gotta do is choose a trim level.....FF, or Cup for the 172, or FF, FF with Cup Pack or full on Cup version for the 182.

The ClioSport world is your oyster.

No real difference IMO, i have a 182 but thats because when i bought it the 172 had stopped production. Only bonus (If you can call it that) is you get Cruise as standard. Take both out and see what you think, your money at the end of the day
Cruise was standard on 53 plate 172's onwards made cars (there are later cars without it though) 172 didn't have it on any registration though.

renaultsport 172
cheers people its gonna be hard parting with the polo its just doesnt give me the smiles it used to!

MINI JCW
I would go for the 182, simply as I think the twin exhaust make it look more sporty.

Obviously its down to personal preference as many on here dont like the twin exhaust.

Trophy 265/500
Seriously, I'd look to the 182 cup or Trophy. Just that bit lighter and firmer, but still with enough kit for comfort (air con, cruise control, ABS and traction control for the winter) Trophy and a handful of cups also have the Recaro delight.

Seriously, if you're used to a Polo GTI (I tested one a year or two ago and a friend of mine ran one for a year or two while he was getting rid of some points) I'd not go for a 172 cup - they're whippy, but can get away from you if you're too "brave" - separate thread but I saw one crashed today.

Anyway, whichever RS you go for, be ready for a slightly crappy interior, but you'll not even notice because of the drive. :)

renaultsport 172
thats what i thought my polo has full heated leather recaros and the interior is mint but i have to make compromise somewere its time for some more power!

MCG

Vauxhall Astra VXR
Get a 182 ff with cup packs, they look better, they handle better, the interior is slightly better and you don't lose out on anything. Oh yeah, and both the 172 and 182 are the same insurance group rating, 16, unless you get a trophy which are group 17.

Last edited:
The 182 gains its 10bhp from a freer flowing exhaust...thats about it.
A 4-2-1 manifold and twin exit pipes the main contibutions to it.

Other than that its purely down to personal preferences....i.e do you want a newer one with less miles or do you want to save a bit of cash and put it towards the older car.

Then all you gotta do is choose a trim level.....FF, or Cup for the 172, or FF, FF with Cup Pack or full on Cup version for the 182.

The ClioSport world is your oyster.

ollie you know your going to change your exhaust shortly, to a 182 mani and a free a flowing back box......

come on and do it you know you want tooooooo

:rasp: