ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hill Power Modified Head

Skoda Fabia vRS

ive just fished out my Hill Power price list and what do you all think about going for the modified cylinder head ?

am i right in thinking the bottom end of a car can last ages ?.......like possibly 200,000 ?

the thing is ive replaced a lot of things, and looked after my engine since i got it, regular oil changes an fresh plugs etc, so i think it might be in decent condition, and i shouldnt have to replace many things

so in theory, if i got a fully rebuilt head, then my car should last a good while longer if maintained

what do you all think ?

an its a lot cheaper than an engine conversion, and could yield up to 15bhp

Skoda Fabia vRS

^bump ! - i spy Nick Hill online !^

:) - Nick !.......over ere mate, read this one, hehe

Headwork is always a good place for gains on most cars. Just depends on the quality of the work. Judging from comments about Hill Power this should be good.

1.4 renault bottom end lasting 200,000 miles.... hmmm :eek:

If oil flow and pressure is ok theres really not a lot that wears or goes wrong top end with most engines. Bar gasket and cam belt failures that is.

Well maybe dismissing 200K was a bit harsh.

Was working on a 155K 2.0 laguna the other day, seems fine bar needing valve clearances doing. Bet the big end shells arent that great though.

150K+ on a well maintained, well run (not too many shot journeys) engine is doable.

How many miles has yours done? Could always fit my 1.7 turbo engine if your worried. :D

Skoda Fabia vRS

88k almost, and im not sure about the first 70k, but the last 12k has been mostly motorway miles

how much are new big end shells ?...are they the big end bearings ?.....and is it easy to fit new ones if the head is off ?

Yep, big end shells = big end bearings.

I think they were £20 for a Nova GTE I did a rebuild on. Sump and gubbins needs to be removed to change them. Did them while we were reringing it.

Check the mains while its all in bits, but the crank needs to be dropped on most engines to change them.

TBH I wouldnt worry at 88K

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

Brun wouldnt worry about the bottom end at all if your doing 12k a year its gona last you another 4 years at least. And changing the big end bearings is not to bad, having helpt change my mates on his 16v.

Brun are you thinking of the full performance head work? Like skimmed, flowed, manifolds, valve seats, cam and chip?

a modified head not just reconditioned will yeild decent power as long as you can get that sh*tty TB to flow more or solve it another way.

1.7 Turbo out of a Volvo 440 turbo (the used renault engines)

120bhp and 130ft lbs standard. 200bhp should be resonable with a bit of work.

Its somewhere in for sale section, gone down a few pages now.

What size throttle do they put on the 1.4?

The 440 turbo gets a measly 45mm, been on the lookout for a 55mm 2.0 one.

well, the laguna setup is alright, but i was thinking something away from the spi as its really an overly simplified carb and is pants.