ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hmmm.. Help?

Italian 3.2 V6
What does it mean when you get little coloured dots (only a few) randomly scattered within the picture?

My last few shots have got identically placed and coloured dots in each picture when you zoom in.

Thanks.

Could be anything!

Noise / Dirt on the lens (probably some sort of oil) / Sensor borked

Generally dirt wouldn't make much of a difference, dust etc, but if you have enough it could do.

Italian 3.2 V6
Well when I say coloured I mean like solid primary blue's, red's and whites..

So to me that says it's not dirt or dust but something digital like the sensor?

Il get a picture up as soon as possible!

Clio 182 Cup
At first glance that looks like noise destroying the finer details of the shot to me.Have you tried a long exposure with as lower ISO as possible to see if it's still occurring? If so, it's very likely it could be a sensor issue as others have said or fingers crossed just dirt on the sensor.

Cupra
The 5DII has an option (hidden in a sub menu) to map out dust and hot pixels from the sensor. If you give it a Google then you will get the guide on how to do it.
That might help, otherwise, lock the shutter open (also a hidden sub menu option) and check the sensor for visible dust.
If you can see it, then either take a brave pill and clean it yourself, or find a recommended camera shop that will do it for you.

Italian 3.2 V6
Thanks guys will redo some long exposure shots and have another look and let uno.

Italian 3.2 V6
Just done a long exposure with the lens cap on and it's rediculas how many coloured pixels show. Green, blue, red & white. Fully zoomed in and there is atleast 3 where ever I'm zoomed in on the picture.

If I stay zoomed in on a red dot for example in one spot and scroll to the next picture - depending on the colours in the picture it's still there, especially in dark colours, but in some colours were you should still be able to see it, it's totally vanished.

Iv chose to clean the shutter on the menu and taken the same photo again with the lens cap on but it's no different.

Looks like Iv had it a while but only noticed it since taking these night shots - first time with this 5dii

😧

A friend thinks there "stuck" pixels that can be removed rather than "dead" pixels.

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
More than likely these colour dots are dead pixels. Try this process, it helped me:

Italian 3.2 V6
Thanks, will give the manual clean a try tonight and update you guys.

If I need to get the sensor fixed.. What could this cost?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
They're Hot Pixels i'd say, not dirt/dust on the lens.

Try the fix in that video. A sensor replacement would be more than the camera is worth probably.

Italian 3.2 V6
Ok so tried what it said in the vid and it's helped, they've faded/fainted so there not as noticeable :)

Would it be ok to repeat the process?

Cheers

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Yes.

I've also seen it where you cover the viewfinder as well, so that there is no chance of getting any light through.