ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Home Modded Airbox, 182

RenaultSport clio 182
Hi guys, Im planning to buy i second hand 182 airbox, replace the 58mm cold air feed and acoustic valve with a 85mm feed instead, then replace filter with an ITG panel replacement. Then cover the unit in some kind of heat repelling cover. Was thinking of even creating a second cold air feed into the box. More cold air more power??? Any thoughts???

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
deffo worth it considering all its going to cost you is what £30 for an ITG then a couple of quid for cold air feed and what ever you need.

go for it matey, be different :)

RenaultSport clio 182
Will do, think i can build something quite competitive compared to the 300 odd quid for fancy factory one. Will take pics at all stages of fit.

Clio 172 mk2
Sounds good

I was thinking of wrapping my airbox in heatshield mat too...you can get it from DT in lots of sizes. Only problem is the awkward shape of the box and intake pipes.

182 Full Fat
powello9 said:
Will do, think i can build something quite competitive compared to the 300 odd quid for fancy factory one. Will take pics at all stages of fit.

I look forward to hearing about this, as I have recently changed my air feed to the big wide 85mm tubing. Also fitted heatshield to my open air cone filter, which has defo improved things but still can't help feeling the standard air box idea is better :cool:

Ph1
When the cars up and moving the engine is pretty cold so adding heat wrap or a heat shield to the air box / IK wont make much, if any, difference at all.

Its only when a cars idling that engine tempretures increase.

A decent cold air feed is the way to go

182 Full Fat
Andyman said:

Agree. I've really notice car struggle when sat in traffic and then moving off. It must get so HOT under there. New air feed has helped but not solved heat soak. I think this will always be the case with most cars to an extent, as the heat is traped under the bonnet when caught in traffic! :dead:

R

rich[182]

Been thinking along these lines for a while too

ITG panel filter
Samco inlet elbow with seperate remote crankcase breather filter
Airbox modded with 85mm inlet hole and covered with several layers of thick kitchen tin foil using aluminium adhesive tape to secure
85mm feed pipe to area behind fog light (but not connected to hole left by removal of fog light)
Fog light removed with some mesh behind the hole

If you had the feed pipe left less than 5mm from inlet in the airbox you'd also get some induction noise but still a good cold feed

Whole lot cost £90-ish

Clio 172 mk2
Andyman said:
When the cars up and moving the engine is pretty cold so adding heat wrap or a heat shield to the air box / IK wont make much, if any, difference at all.

Yep...always the same when at a standstill.

More of an issue in turbocharged cars where the IC gets warm increasing the chances of det.

Not sure that increasing the inlet diameter to the airbox will make much difference....actually may reduce airflow.

well i ordered an ik so i drilled my airbox to bits and put a new filter in it, seems better then havin the ik on it,

was a bit pikey drilling it though :S

111s
Looked into the whole heatsheild thing a while ago. There was a product called 'Nimbus' that looked quite good. They sell it here www.aerotecheng.com

Edit to add: Quite resonable too at: single layer 910 x 1160 £43.00

Clio 172 mk2
That stuff looks okay....also available through Demon Tweeks.....think they do CS discount.

RenaultSport clio 182
If the diameter of the cold air feed is reduced as it enters the airbox, would this not increase the pressure of cold air entering the airbox, a ram effect, like squeezing the end of a hose pipe...

RenaultSport clio 172 mk1
Posted some temperatures yesterday for a standard mk1 .

32 degrees ambient

These are the intake temperature in the plenum.

70 degrees during heat soak
60 Degrees around town
50 Degrees on a good blast down the dual carriage way.

Think you really need a fibrous type insulator as its just general underbonnet temperatures rather than a say a hot exhaust that is radiating alot of heat.

Cheers

Giles

RenaultSport clio 182
Awesome figures. Do you think we're all going on about heat soak because its summer, or is it something that we just don't notice in winter, would love to see the figures for a 15 degree day to compare. Its espeicially bad at the moment doesn't mean its doesn't happen in winter. My airbox arrives on sunday off a 172 mk2, same box isn't it? Itg panel arrives this week. Its all coming together hahaha

Ph1
TBH even with the best IK in the world or sticking the thing out the front wing isnt exactly gonna give breath taking power gains.

You'll never get for example 10 bhp+ from one without mapping and even then a 10 bhp gain isnt exaclty gonna be the difference between a quick car and a rapid car !!

imo removing the spare wheel would probably make the car more responsive than any IK / fancy air box could hope to do :)

RenaultSport clio 182
Its not all about power gains, a nice induction roar would be nice. Just bothered about the amount of hot air a open IK sucks in. A closed IK would be ideal but with the maxogen being the best one at 300-400 notes. Im reluctant to pay that for a small power gaina and induction roar. Trying to find the best happy medium.

Civic Type-R
I just put a Hill Power induction kit on mine I got from Russell B. Sounds incredible when you give it some and and seems to pull a bit better too at high revs. Although these are quite expensive if bought new :)

R

rich[182]

RacerStu said:
I just put a Hill Power induction kit on mine I got from Russell B. Sounds incredible when you give it some and and seems to pull a bit better too at high revs. Although these are quite expensive if bought new :)

Whats it like at low revs and in this weather ? The HP IK looks the dogs danglies and has been the only IK to tempt me tbh

Is it really noticeably louder when you give it some ?

Clio 172 mk2
powello9 said:
If the diameter of the cold air feed is reduced as it enters the airbox, would this not increase the pressure of cold air entering the airbox, a ram effect, like squeezing the end of a hose pipe...

Exactly...that's why bore sizes on exhausts and manifolds have to be spot on....big bore doesn't necessarily mean better flow.

I imagine it's the same scenario with the airbox intakes....the OE ones have been designed to flow and work properly.

182 Full Fat
Giles-172 said:
Posted some temperatures yesterday for a standard mk1 .

32 degrees ambient

These are the intake temperature in the plenum.

70 degrees during heat soak
60 Degrees around town
50 Degrees on a good blast down the dual carriage way.

Think you really need a fibrous type insulator as its just general underbonnet temperatures rather than a say a hot exhaust that is radiating alot of heat.

Cheers

Giles

Think this would be interesting to try at night, when temperatures are 15-20c rather than the 30c plus we have had recently. How did you record your temperatures mate?:cool:

Civic Type-R
rich172 said:
Whats it like at low revs and in this weather ? The HP IK looks the dogs danglies and has been the only IK to tempt me tbh

Is it really noticeably louder when you give it some ?

Well i have only got one standard airfeed to it at the moment, but still seems ok at low revs. The hot weather was slowing me down before I put it on though. It is ALOT louder than standard. Drowns out the exhaust nearly! Gives an amazing roar :cool: Sounds like an Impreza or something. Will post a pic up when I get home from work if you like.

R

rich[182]

When you say the hot weather was slowing you down before you put it on, do you mean the IK or the airfeed ?

nelson182 said:
Think this would be interesting to try at night, when temperatures are 15-20c rather than the 30c plus we have had recently. How did you record your temperatures mate?:cool:

I have an ODBII to serial cable which lets me monitor and log certain channels on the car via a laptop. I have a few excel graphs of the data but not sure how to post them..

planning a bit of a sicence experiment with the airbox

Giles

182 Full Fat
Giles-172 said:
I have an ODBII to serial cable which lets me monitor and log certain channels on the car via a laptop. I have a few excel graphs of the data but not sure how to post them..

Giles

Where you based mate? I'd be really interested in this sort of experiment.:approve:

nelson182 said:
Where you based mate? I'd be really interested in this sort of experiment.:approve:

Northampton, so probably a bit far away.

Have a big sheet of insulating matting coming on Monday so will have a bit of a play.

Sadly away in Germany and Hungary for the next couple of weeks. Budapest just amazing in the summer..;)

Giles

p.s Does anybody know exactly where the intake temp sensor is located?

Andyman said:
TBH even with the best IK in the world or sticking the thing out the front wing isnt exactly gonna give breath taking power gains.

You'll never get for example 10 bhp+ from one without mapping and even then a 10 bhp gain isnt exaclty gonna be the difference between a quick car and a rapid car !!

imo removing the spare wheel would probably make the car more responsive than any IK / fancy air box could hope to do :)

More than anything the heat wrap and IK should in theory give a car more consistant performance throughout the year. It might give a gain of 5bhp max?

Removing a spare wheel would give you -15kg max?

Both wouldn't give you a significant increase in performance tbh but if you do the sums the IK would give you higher BHP/ton.

I've done the spare wheel thing and it doesn't change performance at all.

TDI tyre shreader
Giles-172 said:

Giles

Where did you get the cable and software from if you dont mind me asking

Ph1
Man-Chun said:
More than anything the heat wrap and IK should in theory give a car more consistant performance throughout the year. It might give a gain of 5bhp max?

Removing a spare wheel would give you -15kg max?

Both wouldn't give you a significant increase in performance tbh but if you do the sums the IK would give you higher BHP/ton.

I've done the spare wheel thing and it doesn't change performance at all.

How can heat wrap make a difference when a engines already cold when traveling in a forward motion?? There's noting to cool down !!

Ive got heat wrap round my 182 manifold and on idle you'd be hard pressed to tell any difference!!

A engine only gets hot when sat idling.

Heat wrap will make no difference what so ever. One thing it might do is save some weight out your wallet thus = to about 1bhp? haha

All thats needed is a half decent cold air feed.

My mate has a K&N open induction kit with a pretty poor cold air feed and the cars still rapid.

tbh even if you gained 5bhp you wont feel it.

182 Full Fat
Giles-172 said:
Northampton, so probably a bit far away.

Have a big sheet of insulating matting coming on Monday so will have a bit of a play.

Sadly away in Germany and Hungary for the next couple of weeks. Budapest just amazing in the summer..;)

Giles

p.s Does anybody know exactly where the intake temp sensor is located?

Shame, but still post pics of the insulating mapping, and any info regarding the temperatures you found :approve:

182 Full Fat

Attachments

• air feed.jpg
    air feed.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 170
  182 cup pack
Here is my home modded 182 airbox....

I'm getting the feeling that in the high revs the car is better....Think that I'm going to modify the other one too....

Andyman said:
How can heat wrap make a difference when a engines already cold when traveling in a forward motion?? There's noting to cool down !!

Ive got heat wrap round my 182 manifold and on idle you'd be hard pressed to tell any difference!!

If you read my post I never said heat wrap cooled the air down, I said it helps stabilise temps and gives the engine a more consistant temp intake and hence performance.

Andyman said:
A engine only gets hot when sat idling.

Well done, correct. In forward motion it is no use (below 40mph or track conditions), but where you will find the most use with the heat wrap is when you get stuck in traffic or driving at low speeds where the airflow coming in through the grill is not sufficent to keep the engine bay temps nearer to the outside temps. Or when you track the car on a hot summers day, everything gets very hot!

Andyman said:
Heat wrap will make no difference what so ever. One thing it might do is save some weight out your wallet thus = to about 1bhp? haha

The heatwrap wouldn't make a huge difference in performance but as I said its all about keeping a consistant performance, and as I said before if you read my post correctly and not presumed what I said you would of seen that I never quoted a performance increase with just heat wrap.

As rapid as your m8's car is it will get heat soaked on a hot summers day in traffic or at relatively low speeds 30-35mph. It will take a fair few mins of open road driving before returning back to normal intake temps. In the mean time the intake temps would be sky high and ignition timing would get pulled back and a loss of performance esp in low down torque.

Andyman said:
tbh even if you gained 5bhp you wont feel it.

I never said you would feel a 5bhp gain, I just mentioned that if the maths was done the 5bhp would give you a better bhp/ton than removing your spare wheel.

Baseline Bhp = 180bhp
Baseline Weight of Car = 1.1ton
IK + Coldair Feed = 185Bhp/1.1 = 168bhp/ton
Remove Spare Wheel = 180bhp/1.08 = 167bhp/ton
Thats presuming a spare wheel = 20kg

Andyman said:
imo removing the spare wheel would probably make the car more responsive than any IK / fancy air box could hope to do

So if you don't feel a 5bhp gain how do you feel the performance increase from removing a spare wheel? ;)