ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phase 1 airbox ducting options - opinions sought!

I've fitted a phase 1 airbox to my 182 and am looking for opinions to help me decide re cold air feeds please

Plan to use these road spec duct scoops https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323797362960
Plan to use these road spec duct scoops https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323797362960

Was tempted by the track spec ones but the car's my daily that I take to work, so thought the road ones are the best compromise between performance and subtlety

I'm trying to decide between a 63mm or 76mm feed to the lower airbox inlet

Measurements I got for the phase 1 airbox

Lower Inlet (circular)
Outer 68mm
Inner 61mm

Upper Inlet (oblong)
Outer 68mm x 63mm
Inner 61mm x 58mm

The option the seller suggests is a 76mm scoop and 76mm ducting and compress with a jubilee clip or some duct tape around the lower airbox inlet to bridge the gap. This would theoretically maximise air volume, but may introduce some airflow turbulence

The 63mm one may just compress in to the lower airbox inlet, reducing turbulence and possibly increasing airflow speed as the duct scoop funnels air to a smaller diameter

I plan to use ducting to the upper inlet to behind headlight or towards the standard arch air inlet area where the acoustic valve used to be. I need to decide on the ducting diameter for this too

Thank you

Pic is using oem ducting atm, one fits over the lower inlet, one slots in to upper inlet (fragile stuff that oem ducting!)

E2F88D3D-1132-4A5C-98A8-ED93C553E325.jpeg

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Are air speeds and the flow characteristics really going to have that much of an affect on a relatively standard engine? You may just be over complicating things for yourself

I thought both the feeds on the airbox was the same, circular and the standard ducting has a plastic piece on the end which locates and locks onto each one

Trying to optimise the air intake prior to remap. It has ported/gas flowed intake manifolds, cat mod, catback and ignition optimised with new 8.5mm ht leads, spark plugs, ignition coil, battery, plus Nanodrive etc. Yes, is essentially a standard engine but small gains from all the above and optimising air intake can incrementally slightly improve performance when remapped.

The standard 182 airbox has two inlets that the oem ducts clip in to. The phase 1 box inlets are a different size and shape. I guess there's the possibility of finding oem phase 1 ducting and then deciding whether this would better suit the 63mm or 76mm bumper scoop. I think it would be hard to find phase 1 oem ducting and using new ducting that is matched to the scoop size seems a better option.

Appreciate your opinions Mertin, helps me think through my options and consider other options(y)

Please keep the opinions coming :)

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Ah, I thought you were referring to the size and shape of the ph1 airbox inlets which are both circular but it was the ones on the car

Like you said, most standard ducting is now really brittle and broken up, I still have it in my ph1 but it has started to part lower down.

I would just go with whatever you personally think is best, whether you want to spend a bit of time to get it best you can or if you just want to stick on a basic airfeed

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I’m no expect by any means but im fairly sure after playing with various setups over the past 10+ years of Clio sport ownership picking up 'forced' air from the fogs isn't the best place for it, this was one of my first setups and it lost me power on the rollers. It needs to be around the grill/wheelarch level for the best air pressure I believe? Of everything ive tried over the years i've personally found the Ktec off the shelf setup the best option for the minimal extra power you're gunna get from a filter, mainly due to the custom filter they have Ramair produce for them and the single piece of reinforced silicon but as I stupidly found out make sure the foam filter stays oiled to stop any ingress!

Phase 1 grill level example: https://cliosport.net/threads/172-air-intake-behind-grill-or-behind-light.296126/

Parts arrived, fitted, seems to drive more smoothly, sounds a bit smoother and looks good too I reckon; better than fog lights that I never use!

Half a metre was perfect length, had to slowly work it between the bundle of wires and headlight adjuster. I've left the top inlet as is for now. Remap next week :p

243225FD-817F-42D7-AE01-8455918CA8F5.jpeg

E8826C85-C3BB-4B34-84B7-5638B32E14C5.jpeg

8240493C-C9DA-4C07-A022-C73B8C4CCDF2.jpeg

182FF
That is one tidy looking engine bay, I love it!

Thanks for using my ducts, glad you like them!