ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

honest opinion on insurance...

i am 19 now, soon to be 20

shud i go on my own policy for car insurance or stay on my dads and later on get my own policy?

cheers

Jay

i can change my policy now.

ive spoken to phil at HIC and he put me down as 20 for wen it starts soon the policy but was wondering if i shud stay on my dads.

is it gona b cheaper for me in long run?

Burgandy 174 sport t

get your own started NOW!! much better in the long run!! im 21 with 4yrs ncb now and lookin at 800 fc on a 172!!! ok I paid alot when I was younger but now its worth it!!!

Get your own if i were you. I started on my own straight away and have 3yrs NCB now im 20. You will have to pay high premiums sometime, whenever you start your own policy so may aswell be now!?

my parents are saying later will b cheaper.

im at uni and have the money at hand now but they rather i save for now until i have a full time job but i sed to them, the high price will come at some point, they prefer later than now but stil gona hit me

Id say if u can afford it definitely get your own.

Me and my mate are the same age (19) and passed our test within a week of each other. Hes been driving his Dads car for a year and ive got 1 years NCD. I pay 725 TPFT on my 1.4 clio, whereas hes now looking for his own car and cheapest quote third party on a 1.2 fiesta hes had has been £1200.

Mondeo STTDCI

The only way to get cheap insurance is wait til you are 30 or build up your no claims. tis the way it is.

cheers people

does age also matter? cos if i wait and then get my own policy, even though im older its still similar to if i start now isnt it? so it wont really save me much money

also how legal is it to be on my dads policy wen i have the car in another place to where he lives?

age wont make a difference, its how many ncb u have that will. Start now (with HIc or summinthing), then ull be 21, which is where it falls anyway. providing u actually build up ncbs.

Unless youre going to be doing a job that will mean youll always have a company car - then get your own policy.

You are just delaying the pain if you dont. Your insurance wont get significantly less until you hit the major milestones 25, 30 etc..

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

Ill be 23 next year soon and im still on my dads, only reason is I couldnt afford the premiums! I start a better paid job in 6 months time just before my policy runs out and then Ill start my own.. Still gonna hurt but I can afford it comfortably...

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

not very recently but yes fully comp they were still quite high, just about the wrong side of 1k..

when i got my 1st quote on my 16v, it was 1400.00 f/c back then i was 21

with no ncd (been on my dads) a year later (1yr ncd) its was 900.00 f/c

and this year, with my mum as a named driver (worked out cheaper) will be 600.00 (2yrs ncd)

all of these are on an untouched valver, it does have a cat1 alarm on it though.

also if you are a named driver of a car (mums/dads) doesnt the car have to be registered to them?

personally id start out on my own !

some of stuff above is not true in my opinion. insurance drops drastically with age. The longer you leave it the insurance you will pay will be much lower! if a 23 year old is in the same position as a 17 year old, ie. 0 no claims then the 23 year old will prob pay 30 less than 17 year old automaticaly