ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hooking up my Laptop to my TV...help!!!!

Focus RS Mk1
Hi all, I need to get my tv working with my laptop.

Main reason being that the F1 season starts soon, i have access to skyf1HD online but only via my laptop. I would like to watch it on my tv.

Ive been and bought a VGA cable, it plugs into my laptop and into my TV no problem.

My laptop is a DELL E6420 ATG. Fairly good bit of kit and brand new.

Ive got it working via HDMI but all my HDMI ports on the TV are full so i want to use the VGA cable. (i just tested it with a HDMI)

When it comes to the F1, i want to pop my laptop on, sit it on the floor in front of the tv, hook up to a wired network connection and the VGA cable, and let it do it thing! these cables, when not in use, are gonna be tucked away.

Anyway, ive plugged in the VGA cable, but i cant get anything on my TV. just says no signal. Ive tried activating the second monitor but it does nothing. I use this laptop at work all day with a second monitor so it does work. Ive been into the "Intel(R) Graphics and Media" Icon in the control panel. It picks up my LG TV no problem, recognises its there and thats it is a LG TV, but does nothing about it. It allows me to set up the tv. I click on monitor/TV settings and it says "not supported"

Surely it should be no different to my work screen, although this is a lot smaller its still via the VGA cable (i use a docking station at work, but the VGA cable it still used, but into the dock not my laptop.

HELP! dont know what to do!

Cupra
It could be due to the resolution that the laptop is trying to use on the TV. Try running the TV as the only screen with a forced 1920x1080 (assuming your TV is full HD).

Focus RS Mk1
That doesn't work.

I added the 2nd monitor in the display settings menu. It allows for me to do that.

I can move the mouse off the screen so it thinks/knows there is a monitor there. Just no picture!

I really dont want to have to faf around with swapping HDMI cables! Even going to the most basic resolution doesnt work!

Really stumped now!

Ive got the CD for the TV in, it says about using the VGA connection, plug n play system, shouldnt have to change a thing.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Just use HDMI (buy a HDMI splitter), much better than VGA and you won't experience any lip sync issues...

Cupra
Switch the tv as the main screen in the settings rather than an extended desktop?

I just remembered that I had a problem with my laptop on the TV screen once and it was due to a dodgy cable. It worked on a monitor, but not the TV. Might be worth trying that if nothing else works.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
have you tried cycling through the outputs with function key + F4 (normally)? does the tv screen flicker or do anything when doing this? Have you tried the VGA cable elsewhere?

P.S. if your HDMI output on your laptop carrys sound, you will be better of using HDMI as you will get the digital audio.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Output laptop direct to tv without LCD panel.
Older Dell were FN + F8.

rcz 200gt
If its sky go your using i tried it on my tv via hdmi on laptop but it immediatly goes blank pull out the hdmi and it comes back on on laptop i think its a sky thing so your mates cant sign in on your account and watch without paying on the tv